- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 40. Public Records and Recorders
- Chapter 25. Public Record Disclosures
- Section 115. Electronic Services and Products.
previous: Section 110
. Public Records Open to Inspection and Copying; Fees.
next: Section 120
. Public Records; Exceptions; Certified Copies.
AS 40.25.115. Electronic Services and Products.
- (a) Notwithstanding AS 40.25.110
(b) - (d) to the contrary, upon request and payment of a fee established under (b) of this section, a public agency may
provide electronic services and products involving public records to members of the public. A public agency is
encouraged to make information available in usable electronic formats to the greatest extent feasible. The activities
authorized under this section may not take priority over the primary responsibilities of a public agency.
- (b) The fee for electronic services and products must be based on recovery of the actual incremental costs of providing
the electronic services and products, and a reasonable portion of the costs associated with building and maintaining
the information system of the public agency. The fee may be reduced or waived by the public agency if the electronic
services and products are to be used for a public purpose, including public agency program support, nonprofit
activities, journalism, and academic research. Fee reductions and waivers shall be uniformly applied among persons who
are similarly situated.
- (c) Notwithstanding (b) of this section, the fee for duplicating a public record in the electronic form kept by a public
agency may not exceed the actual incremental costs of the public agency.
- (d) Public agencies shall include in a contract for electronic services and products provisions that
- (1) protect the security and integrity of the information system of the public agency and of information systems that are
shared by public agencies; and
- (2) limit the liability of the public agency providing the services and products.
- (e) Each public agency shall notify the state library distribution and data access center established under AS 14.56.090
of the electronic services and products offered by the public agency to the public under this section. The
notification must include a summary of the available format options and the fees charged.
- (f) When offering on-line access to an electronic file or data base, a public agency also shall provide without charge
on-line access to the electronic file or data base through one or more public terminals.
- (g) Each public agency shall establish the fees for the electronic services and products provided under this section. The
governor may cancel the fees established by a public agency in the executive branch,
except the fees of the University of Alaska and the Alaska Railroad Corporation, if the governor determines that the
fees are unreasonably high.
- (h) A public agency may not make electronic services and products available to one member of the public and withhold them
from other members of the public.
- (i) A public agency other than a municipality or the Alaska Railroad Corporation shall separately account for the fees
received by the agency under this section and deposited in the general fund. The annual estimated balance in the
account may be used by the legislature to make appropriations to the agency to carry out the activities of the agency.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.