- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 39. Public Officers and Employees
- Chapter 35. Public Employees' Retirement System of Alaska
- Section 891. Disability Benefit and Disabled Peace Officer or Fire Fighter Retirement Benefit Adjustment.
previous: Section 890
. Occupational Disability Benefits and Reemployment of Disabled Employees.
next: Section 892
. Occupational Death Benefit.
AS 39.35.891. Disability Benefit and Disabled Peace Officer or Fire Fighter Retirement Benefit Adjustment.
- (a) Once each year, the administrator shall increase disability benefits and retirement benefits elected by
disabled peace officers or fire fighters under AS 39.35.890 (h)(2). The amount of the increase is a percentage of the
current disability benefit or retirement benefit equal to the lesser of 75 percent of the increase in the cost of living in the
preceding calendar year or nine percent.
- (b) If a disabled member was not receiving a benefit during the entire preceding calendar year, the increase in
the benefit under this section shall be adjusted by multiplying it by a fraction, the numerator of which is the number of months for
which the benefit was received in the preceding calendar year and the denominator of which is 12.
- (c) If a disabled peace officer or fire fighter elects to receive a retirement benefit in the amount calculated
under AS 39.35.890(h)(2), the administrator shall, at the time the disabled peace
officer or fire fighter is appointed to retirement, increase the retirement benefit by a percentage equal to the total cumulative
percentage that has been applied to the disabled peace officer's or fire fighter's disability benefit under this section.
- (d) An increase in benefit payments under this section is effective July 1 of each year and is based on the
percentage increase in the Consumer Price Index for urban wage earners and clerical workers for Anchorage, Alaska, during the previous
calendar year, as determined by the United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- (e) Benefit adjustments under this section shall terminate the last day of the month following the date on which
a disabled member is no longer receiving a disability benefit under AS 39.35.890 , unless the member is a disabled peace officer or fire fighter
and has chosen a retirement benefit under AS 39.35.890 (h)(2).
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.