- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 39. Public Officers and Employees
- Chapter 35. Public Employees' Retirement System of Alaska
- Section 615. Effect of Termination By Amendment of Agreement.
previous: Section 610
. Transmittal of Contributions to Administrator; Claims Against Funds of an Employer.
next: Section 620
. Termination of Participation.
AS 39.35.615. Effect of Termination By Amendment of Agreement.
- (a) A political subdivision or public organization may request that its participation agreement be amended. The request
may be made only after adoption of a resolution by the legislative body of the political subdivision and approval of
the resolution by the person required by law to approve the resolution, or, in the case of a public organization, after
adoption of a resolution by the governing body of that public organization. A certified copy of the resolution shall be
filed with the administrator. If a political subdivision or public organization amends its participation agreement so
as to terminate coverage of a department, group, or other classification of employees, each employee whose coverage is
so terminated, regardless of the employee's employment status at the date of termination, shall be considered fully
vested in actuarially adjusted accrued retirement benefits as of the date of termination, unless
- (1) the employee's contributions have been refunded; or
- (2) the political subdivision or public organization amended its participation agreement to exclude coverage for the
affected department, group, or other classification of employees at the written request of a majority of the employees
employed in that department, group, or other classification at the time the request was made.
- (b) Each employee whose coverage is terminated must, within 60 days after the date of termination, inform the
administrator, in writing, whether the employee wishes to obtain a refund or a vested benefit.
- (c) Each employee who elects to obtain a refund shall receive a refund of the balance of the employee contribution
account. The vesting in accrued benefits for each employee who elects to obtain a refund is voided upon receipt of the
refund, and the corresponding credited service may not be reinstated under AS 39.35.095 - 39.35.680. A partial refund may not be
allowed under this section.
- (d) [Repealed, Sec. 116(a) ch 20 SLA 2007].
- (e) After all of the employees whose coverage is terminated have either received refunds or have been vested in their
accrued benefits, the remaining funds in the employer contribution account attributable to those employees shall be
refunded to the employer.
- (f) [Repealed, Sec. 116(a) ch 20 SLA 2007].
- (g) An employer terminating participation in the plan shall pay termination costs determined by the
administrator, or enter into a payment plan acceptable to the administrator, within 60 days after the employer receives notice of its
termination costs from the administrator. Termination costs not paid within the prescribed time limit or in accordance with the approved
payment plan shall be collected by the administrator in accordance with AS 39.35.610 (b). Termination of participation by an employer in the plan
does not bar future participation by the employer under AS 39.35.700 - 39.35.990 if the employer has paid in full its prior
- (h) A political subdivision or public organization considering or requesting termination from the plan shall pay
the cost associated with obtaining a termination cost study associated with the employer's termination.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.