- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 37. Public Finance
- Chapter 10. Public Funds
- Section 52. Fees Levied By Resource Agencies For Designated Regulatory Services; Negotiated Service Agreements.
previous: Section 50
. Charges By State Agencies; Collection, Accounting, and Deposit of State Money.
next: Section 54
. Invoices For Designated Regulatory Services.
AS 37.10.052. Fees Levied By Resource Agencies For Designated Regulatory Services; Negotiated Service Agreements.
- (a) Each resource agency shall, by regulation, establish a list of fixed fees for standard designated regulatory services
that it provides. A fixed fee adopted under this subsection may not exceed the estimated average reasonable direct cost
incurred by the resource agency in providing the standard designated regulatory service. The resource agency shall
provide an explanation of the basis for the fixed fee. The resource agency shall review the list of fixed fees at least
once every four years, identify any changes in the average actual and reasonable direct cost of providing each standard
designated regulatory service for which a fixed fee has been established, and, by regulation, adjust the fees
accordingly. The agency shall include the results of its review in the report submitted under AS 37.10.050
- (b) In the case of a designated regulatory service for which a resource agency has not established a fixed fee under (a)
of this section, a resource agency shall, at the request of the person who will be billed for a designated regulatory
service, attempt to reach a negotiated service agreement for provision of that service. A negotiated service agreement
that is reached under this subsection is a contract that is enforceable by either party under generally applicable
contract remedies provided by law. A negotiated service agreement reached under this subsection may include
- (1) the amount of the fee;
- (2) the structure or methodology by which the fee will be charged;
- (3) deadlines, sequences, or milestones for the provision of the regulatory service; and
- (4) other matters reasonably related to the cost of, or procedures for, the provision of the regulatory service.
- (c) A person requiring more than one regulatory service, at least one of which is a designated regulatory service, for an
activity may petition the resource agency that will provide the services or, if more than one resource agency will
provide a regulatory service, the office of management and budget to establish a single fee for all regulatory services
that are required for that class of activities. The resource agency or office of management and budget, as appropriate,
shall grant the petition if it finds that the proposed fee meets the applicable requirements of this subsection and is
likely to be used by the resource agency or office of management and budget more than once. If a petition under this
subsection is granted, the resource agency or the office of management and budget shall make available to the public
information concerning the single fee, including a list of regulatory services to be provided and the amount of the
fee. If the resource agency or the office of management and budget denies the petition, the agency or office shall
provide to the petitioner a statement setting out the agency's or office's reasons for denial. The single fee under
this subsection must be
- (1) confined to the distinct economic sector in which the petitioner is or proposes to be engaged;
- (2) where necessary, limited by geography, facility size or capacity, or other relevant factors so as to provide a
reasonable assurance that only similarly situated activities, with respect to cost, are included within the fixed fee;
- (3) based on the estimated average reasonable direct cost of each designated regulatory service required for the activity
and the average fee customarily charged for a regulatory service other than a designated regulatory service discounted
by the amount of savings that may be achieved by avoiding regulatory overlap and, where applicable, coordinating
multi-agency review of the activity to the maximum extent possible.
- (d) Except for fees determined under (a), (b), or (c) of this section or in AS 37.10.056
, a fee levied by a resource agency for a designated regulatory service must be based solely on the actual and
reasonable direct cost incurred by the resource agency in providing the designated regulatory service to the person on
whom that fee is levied, computed on a time-and-expense basis.
- (e) Nothing in this section authorizes or requires a resource agency to charge a fee for a designated regulatory service.
- (f) No action taken by a resource agency or the office of management and budget under (c) of this section is subject to AS
44.62 (Administrative Procedure Act).
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.