- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 34. Property
- Chapter 77. Community Property Act
- Section 900. Definitions.
previous: Section 160
. Uniformity of Application and Construction.
next: Section 995
. Short Title.
AS 34.77.900. Definitions.
In this chapter,
- (1) "acquire" in relation to property includes obtaining reductions of indebtedness on encumbered property and obtaining a
lien on or a security interest in property;
- (2) "appreciation" means a realized or unrealized increase in the value of property;
- (3) "community property" means property owned jointly by both spouses under a community property agreement or a community
- (4) "community property agreement" means an agreement that complies with AS 34.77.090
- (5) "community property trust" means an express trust that complies with AS 34.77.100
- (6) "decree" means a judgment or other order of a court;
- (7) "determination date" means the later of
- (A) marriage;
- (B) the effective date of a community property agreement or a community property trust; or
- (C) May 23, 1998;
- (8) "disposition at death" means the transfer of property by will, intestate succession, nontestamentary transfer, or
other means that take effect at the transferor's death;
- (9) "dissolution" means
- (A) termination of a marriage by a decree of dissolution, divorce, annulment, or declaration of invalidity; or
- (B) entry of a decree of legal separation or separate maintenance;
- (10) "during marriage" means a period that begins at marriage and ends at divorce, dissolution, or the death of a spouse;
- (11) "held" means the registration, recordation, or filing by a person in a public office in the name of the person of a
document of title to property, or the issuance in the person's name of a writing that customarily operates as a
document of title to the property;
- (12) "income" means dividends, interest, and net rents and other net returns attributable to investment, rental, licensing,
or other use of property unless attributable to a return of capital or to appreciation;
- (13) "management and control" means the right to buy, sell, use, transfer, exchange, abandon, lease, consume, expend,
assign, create a security interest in, mortgage, encumber, dispose of, institute or defend a civil action regarding, or
otherwise deal with property as if the property is the property of an unmarried person;
- (14) "notice" of a fact means a knowledge of it, receipt of a notification of it, or reason to know that it exists from the
facts and circumstances known to the person;
- (15) "presume" or a "presumption" means the imposition on the person against whom the presumption or presumed fact is
directed of the burden of proving that the nonexistence of the presumed fact is more probable than its existence;
- (16) "property" means an interest, present or future, legal or equitable, vested or contingent, in real or personal
- (17) "written waiver" means a document signed by a person against whose interests it is sought to be enforced.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.