- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 34. Property
- Chapter 45. Unclaimed Property
- Section 390. Claim of Another State to Recover Property.
previous: Section 380
. Filing of Claim With Department.
next: Section 400
. Action to Establish Claim.
AS 34.45.390. Claim of Another State to Recover Property.
- (a) After personal property has been paid or delivered to the department under this chapter another state may recover the
- (1) this state took custody of the property because the records of the holder did not reflect the last known address of
the apparent owner when the property was presumed abandoned under this chapter, the person entitled to the property was
in the other state, and under the laws of the other state the property escheated to or was subject to a claim of
abandonment by that state;
- (2) the last known address of the apparent owner or other person entitled to the property, as reflected by the records of
the holder, is in the other state and under the laws of the other state the property has escheated to or become subject
to a claim of abandonment by that state;
- (3) the records of the holder were erroneous in that they did not accurately reflect the actual owner of the property and
the last known address of the actual owner is in the other state and under the laws of the other state the property
escheated to or was subject to a claim of abandonment by the other state;
- (4) this state took custody of the property under AS 34.45.120
(6), and, under the laws of the state of domicile of the holder, the property has escheated to or become subject to a
claim of abandonment by the state of domicile; or
- (5) the property is the sum payable on a traveler's check, money order, or other similar instrument of which this state
took custody under AS 34.45.140
, and the instrument was purchased in the other state, and, under the laws of the other state, the property escheated
to or became subject to a claim of abandonment by the other state.
- (b) The claim of another state to recover escheated or abandoned property must be presented in a form prescribed by the
department. The department shall allow the claim if it determines that the other state is entitled to the abandoned
property under (a) of this section.
- (c) The department shall require a state, before recovering property under this section, to agree to indemnify this state
and its officers and employees against liability on a claim for the property.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.