- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 34. Property
- Chapter 45. Unclaimed Property
- Section 290. Requests For Reports and Examination of Records.
previous: Section 280
. Report of Abandoned Personal Property.
next: Section 300
. Retention of Records.
AS 34.45.290. Requests For Reports and Examination of Records.
- (a) The department may require a person who has not filed a report under AS 34.45.280
or a person who the department believes has filed an inaccurate, incomplete, or false report to file a verified report
in a form specified by the department. The report must state whether the person is holding property reportable under AS
- 34.45.780, describe property not previously
reported or as to which the department has made inquiry, and specifically identify and state the amounts of the
property that may be in issue.
- (b) The department, at reasonable times and upon reasonable notice, may examine the records of any person to determine
whether the person has complied with AS 34.45.110
- 34.45.780. The department may conduct the
examination even if the person believes it is not in possession of any property that must be reported, paid, or
delivered under AS 34.45.110 - 34.45.780. The department may contract with any other
person to conduct the examination on behalf of the department.
- (c) The department at reasonable times may examine the records of an agent, including a dividend disbursing agent or
transfer agent, of a business association that is the holder of property presumed abandoned if the department has given
the notice required by (b) of this section to both the association and the agent at least 90 days before the
- (d) Documents and working papers obtained or compiled by the department or the department's agents, employees,
contractors, or designated representatives in the course of conducting an examination under AS 34.45.110
- 34.45.780 are confidential and are not public
records, but the documents and papers may be
- (1) used by the department in the course of an action to collect unclaimed property or otherwise enforce AS 34.45.110
- (2) used in joint examinations conducted with or under an agreement with another state, the federal government, or any
other governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality;
- (3) produced under subpoena or court order; or
- (4) disclosed to the unclaimed property office of another state for that state's use in circumstances equivalent to those
described in this subsection, if the other state is bound to keep the documents and papers confidential.
- (e) If an examination of the records of a person results in the disclosure of property reportable under AS 34.45.110
- 34.45.780, the department may assess the cost of
the examination against the holder at the rate of $200 a day for each examiner, or a greater amount that is reasonable
and was incurred, but the assessment may not exceed the value of the property found to be reportable under AS 34.45.110
- 34.45.780. The cost of an examination made under
(c) of this section may be assessed only against the business association.
- (f) If a holder does not maintain the records required by AS 34.45.300
and the records of the holder available for the periods subject to AS 34.45.110 - 34.45.780 are insufficient to permit the preparation of a
report, the department may require the holder to report and pay to the department the amount the department reasonably
estimates, on the basis of any available records of the holder or by any other reasonable method of estimation, should
have been but was not reported.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.