- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 34. Property
- Chapter 45. Unclaimed Property
- Section 160. Bank Deposits and Money in Financial Organizations.
previous: Section 150
. Checks, Drafts, and Similar Instruments Issued or Certified By Banking and Financial Organizations.
next: Section 170
. Money Owing Under Life Insurance Policies.
AS 34.45.160. Bank Deposits and Money in Financial Organizations.
- (a) A demand, savings, or matured time deposit with a banking or financial organization, including a deposit that is
automatically renewable, and money paid toward the purchase of a share, a mutual investment certificate, or other
intangible property interest in a banking or financial organization is presumed abandoned unless the owner, within the
preceding five years, has
- (1) in the case of a deposit, increased or decreased its amount or presented the passbook or other similar evidence of the
deposit for the crediting of interest;
- (2) communicated in writing with the banking or financial organization concerning the property; or
- (3) otherwise indicated an interest in the property as evidenced by a memorandum or other record, on file, prepared by an
employee of the banking or financial organization.
- (b) A holder may not impose, with respect to property described in (a) of this section, a charge due to dormancy or
inactivity, or cease payment of interest.
- (c) Property described in (a) of this section that is automatically renewable is matured for purposes of (a) of this
section upon the expiration of its initial time period. However, in the case of a renewal to which the owner consents
at or about the time of renewal by communicating in writing with the banking or financial organization or by otherwise
indicating consent as evidenced by a memorandum or other record on file, prepared by an employee of the organization,
the property is matured upon the expiration of the last time period for which consent was given. If, at the time
provided for delivery in AS 34.45.320, a penalty or
forfeiture in the payment of interest would result from the delivery of the property, the time for delivery is extended
until the time when no penalty or forfeiture would result.
- (d) For purposes of this section, "property" includes interest and dividends.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.