- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 34. Property
- Chapter 8. Common Interest Ownership
- Section 460. Assessments For Common Expenses.
previous: Section 450
. Surplus Funds.
next: Section 470
. Lien For Assessments.
AS 34.08.460. Assessments For Common Expenses.
- (a) Until the association makes a common expense assessment, the declarant shall pay all common expenses. After an
assessment has been made by the association, assessments must be made at least annually, based on a budget adopted at
least annually by the association.
- (b) Except for assessments under (c) - (e) of this section, all common expenses must be assessed against each unit in
accordance with the allocations set out in the declaration under AS 34.08.150
(a) and (b). A past due common expense assessment or an installment of the assessment bears interest at the rate
established by the association not exceeding 18 percent per year.
- (c) To the extent required by the declaration
- (1) a common expense associated with the maintenance, repair, or replacement of a limited common element must be assessed
against each unit to which that limited common element is assigned, equally, or in proportion provided by the
- (2) a common expense or portion of the common expense benefiting fewer than all of the units must be assessed exclusively
against the units benefited;
- (3) the costs of insurance must be assessed in proportion to risk; and
- (4) the costs of utilities that can be determined must be assessed in proportion to usage and if the costs of utilities
cannot be determined, the cost of nondeterminable utilities shall be shared as a common expense.
- (d) An assessment to pay a judgment against the association may be made only against the units in the common interest
community at the time the judgment was entered, in proportion to their common expense liabilities.
- (e) If a common expense is caused by the misconduct of a unit owner, the association may assess that expense exclusively
against the unit.
- (f) If common expense liabilities are reallocated, common expense assessments and any installment of the assessment not
yet due must be recalculated in accordance with the reallocated common expense liabilities.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.