- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 33. Probation, Prisons, and Prisoners
- Chapter 30. Prison Facilities and Prisoners
- Section 193. Standard Applicable to Allowing Prisoners Access to and Use of Legal Reference Materials and Legal Assistance.
previous: Section 191
. Employment of Prison Inmates.
next: Section 201
. Compensation of Prison Inmates; Deductions; Disbursements; Liens.
AS 33.30.193. Standard Applicable to Allowing Prisoners Access to and Use of Legal Reference Materials and Legal Assistance.
If the commissioner imposes a restriction on access to and use of legal reference materials by or legal assistance of a
prisoner in a state correctional facility, a court may not enter an order giving relief to the prisoner unless the
court first finds, by a preponderance of the evidence, that enforcement or application of the restriction hinders the
prisoner from having access to and use of the legal reference materials or legal assistance
- (1) in order to gain meaningful access to a court for the purpose of challenging
- (A) the prisoner's conviction or sentence; or
- (B) the conditions of the prisoner's confinement; or
- (2) in circumstances in which a state court has specifically determined that a provision of the state constitution
necessarily requires a prisoner to have access to and use of the legal reference materials or legal assistance.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.