- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 33. Probation, Prisons, and Prisoners
- Chapter 30. Prison Facilities and Prisoners
- Section 17. Fees For Utilities Services For Prisoners.
previous: Section 15
. Living Conditions For Prisoners.
next: Section 20
. Commissioner to Establish and Administer Prison Facilities. [Repealed, Sec. 12 Ch 88 SLA 1986].
AS 33.30.017. Fees For Utilities Services For Prisoners.
- (a) The commissioner shall establish a reasonable utility fee for electrical utilities that are used by prisoners who are
confined in a state correctional facility.
- (b) The commissioner shall
- (1) charge each prisoner who possesses at least one major electrical appliance the utility fee established in (a) of this
section; the commissioner may deduct the utility fee monthly from the account established for a prisoner into which
money due the prisoner for labor is paid; if a prisoner is indigent, the commissioner shall make the deduction from any
amount credited to the indigent inmate's account;
- (2) if available from legislative appropriation, expend money deducted and collected under (1) of this subsection to
offset the cost of the department's utility expenses; the commissioner shall annually report on the amounts that are
collected and expended under this paragraph.
- (c) The provisions of (b) of this section do not apply to prisoners
- (1) who are
- (A) developmentally disabled; or
- (B) severely medically or cognitively disabled, as that term is defined in AS 33.16.900
- (2) who are housed in a mental health unit or psychiatric unit of a state correctional facility; or
- (3) while placed in a state correctional facility awaiting classification under classification procedures for the purpose
of making the appropriate assignment of the prisoner.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.