- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 33. Probation, Prisons, and Prisoners
- Chapter 30. Prison Facilities and Prisoners
- Section 13. Commissioner to Notify Victims.
previous: Section 12
. Notice of Release, Parole, Community Placement, Work Release Placement, Furlough, or Escape of Sex Offender or Child Kidnapper.
next: Section 15
. Living Conditions For Prisoners.
AS 33.30.013. Commissioner to Notify Victims.
- (a) The commissioner shall notify the victim if the offender escapes from custody or is released to the community on a
furlough, on an early release program, or for any other reason.
- (b) The commissioner is required to give notice of a change in the status of an offender under this section only if the
victim has requested notice of the change, except that the commissioner is required to give notice, mailed to the last
known address of the victim, in every case of a crime involving domestic violence.
- (c) A victim who has requested notice under (b) of this section shall maintain a current, valid mailing address on file
with the commissioner. The commissioner shall send the notice from the department required by this section to the
victim's last known address. The victim's address may not be disclosed to the offender or the offender's attorney.
- (d) The state may not be held liable in damages for the failure of the commissioner to comply with the requirements of
- (e) As part of the notice under this section, the commissioner shall send the victim a photograph of the offender if the
victim has specifically requested in writing that a photograph be sent. The photograph must have been taken within
three weeks of the offender's release or, if the offender escapes from custody, must be the most recent photograph in
the commissioner's possession. The photograph is for the victim's personal use, and the victim may not make copies of
the photograph for distribution to others. An offender who is released under (a) of this section shall be notified that
a photograph has been sent to the victim under this subsection.
- (f) The commissioner's duty under (a) - (c) of this section to notify a victim of a change in the status of an offender is
satisfied by the notice provided by an automated victim notification system established under AS 12.61.050
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.