- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 29. Municipal Government
- Chapter 60. State Programs
- Section 10. State Equalization of Tax Resources For Municipal Services.
previous: Chapter 60
. State Programs
next: Section 20
. Determination of Population.
AS 29.60.010. State Equalization of Tax Resources For Municipal Services.
- (a) During each state fiscal year the department shall compute an equalization entitlement for municipal services provided
by a taxing unit for payment the following state fiscal year.
- (b) The equalization entitlement computed for a taxing unit is based on the population, relative ability to generate
revenue, and local tax burden of the taxing unit and is determined by the application of the formula Entitlement = P x
R, where (1) P = population, and (2) R = millage rate equivalent, determined by dividing the sum of the locally
generated revenue of the taxing unit by one-tenth of one percent of the full and true value of assessed property of the
taxing unit determined under AS 29.60.030
(d); however, the per capita property value used under this subsection may not be less than 15 percent of the statewide
average per capita full and true assessed property value.
- (c) For purposes of this section, locally generated revenue
- (1) includes
- (A) the actual revenue derived from the levy and collection of local taxes in the taxing unit for municipal services;
- (B) motor vehicle payments received by the municipality under AS 28.10.431;
- (C) revenue from fees, rentals, leases, penalties, licenses, or permits received by the municipality for a function or
service over which it has control, including revenues derived from parks and recreation services, mass transit,
offstreet parking, and garbage and solid waste disposal services;
- (D) special assessments received; and
- (E) payments received by a municipality from a utility that are in place of taxes levied and collected by the
- (2) excludes
- (A) revenue derived from the levy and collection of municipal taxes and appropriated for the operating expenses and debt
service of utilities;
- (B) revenue from interest earned on investments and from the sale and lease of land or equipment; and
- (C) all other revenue from whatever service derived;
- (3) is calculated on the basis of the actual revenue received during the fiscal year of the taxing unit preceding the year
in which the department's determination of the millage rate equivalent is made under AS 29.60.030
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.