- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 29. Municipal Government
- Chapter 55. Municipal Programs
- Section 20. Establishment of Historical Districts.
previous: Section 10
. Creation of Local Historical District Commissions.
next: Chapter 58
. Municipal Debt
AS 29.55.020. Establishment of Historical Districts.
- (a) In addition to existing municipal authority providing for the preservation, protection, and maintenance of historic
sites, the local historical district commission, in consultation with the Alaska Historical Commission in the
Department of Natural Resources, may establish historical districts within the boundaries of the municipality.
- (b) A historical district shall be a reasonably compact area of historical significance in which two or more structures
important in state or national history, and related by physical proximity or historical association, are located. For
purposes of this subsection, "structures important in state or national history" means properties recommended by
historical district commissions that are listed in the National Register of Historic Places or are characteristic of
the Russian-American period before October 18, 1867, the early territorial period before 1930, or early Native
heritage, reflecting the indigenous characteristics of Native culture in Alaska. On recommendation of the governing
body of a municipality and the Alaska Historical Commission, the Department of Natural Resources may by regulation
formulate additional criteria for the establishment of historical districts not inconsistent with this subsection.
- (c) The establishment of a historical district under this section shall be consistent with any applicable comprehensive
plan for the municipality.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.