- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 29. Municipal Government
- Chapter 47. Municipal Debt
- Section 440. Borough Indebtedness.
previous: Section 430
. Redemption Before Maturity.
next: Section 450
. Service Area Debt.
AS 29.47.440. Borough Indebtedness.
- (a) A borough may incur indebtedness on
- (1) an areawide basis for areawide functions; or
- (2) a nonareawide basis for functions performed only in the borough area outside all cities; or
- (3) a service area basis for functions performed only in a service area.
- (b) Payment of debt principal and interest as well as other costs shall be derived from the area incurring the debt under
(a)(2) or (a)(3) of this section, except that the full faith and credit of the entire borough may be pledged to
guarantee payment of principal and interest.
- (c) If the bonded debt to be incurred by a borough is an areawide debt, the vote is areawide. If the full faith and
credit of the entire borough is pledged for the payment of the debt of the borough area outside all cities or of a
service area, an areawide election is held and the proposition must pass both areawide and in the area that will
benefit from the improvement. If the bonded indebtedness to be incurred is limited to the borough area outside all
cities, the vote is limited to voters outside all cities. If the indebtedness to be incurred is limited to a service
area, the vote is limited to voters in the service area. Only the full faith and credit of the area voting on the
indebtedness is pledged for the payment of the debt.
- (d) The indebtedness of a municipality reclassified under AS 29.04.040
- 29.04.060 is not affected by reclassification.
All property in a municipality that is reclassified remains subject to taxation to amortize bonded or other
indebtedness affecting the municipality and authorized on the effective date of reclassification.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.