- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 29. Municipal Government
- Chapter 45. Municipal Taxation
- Section 700. Power of Levy.
previous: Section 680
. Combining Sales and Use Tax With Incorporation of a Borough.
next: Section 710
. Combining Sales and Use Tax With Incorporation of a Second Class City.
AS 29.45.700. Power of Levy.
- (a) A city in a borough that levies and collects areawide sales and use taxes may levy sales and use taxes on all sources
taxed by the borough in the manner provided for boroughs. Except as provided in (d) and (e) of this section, the
assembly may by ordinance authorize a city to levy and collect sales and use taxes on other sources.
- (b) A city in a borough that does not levy and collect sales and use taxes for areawide borough functions may levy and
collect sales and use taxes in the manner provided for boroughs.
- (c) A city outside a borough may levy and collect sales and use taxes in the manner provided for boroughs.
- (d) A city that levies and collects sales and use taxes under (a) of this section may not levy and collect a sales tax on
a purchase made with (1) food coupons, food stamps, or other types of allotments issued under 7 U.S.C. 2011 - 2036
(Food Stamp Program); or (2) food instruments, food vouchers, or other type of certificate issued under 42 U.S.C. 1786
(Special Supplemental Food Program for Women, Infants, and Children). For purposes of this subsection, the value of a
food stamp allotment paid in the form of a wage subsidy as authorized under AS 47.25.975
(b) is not considered to be an allotment issued under 7 U.S.C. 2011 - 2036 (Food Stamp Program). This subsection
applies to home rule and general law municipalities.
- (e) A city that levies and collects sales and use taxes may not levy and collect a sales or use tax on (1) the physical
transfer of refined fuel, unless the transfer is made in connection with a sale or use in the city, or (2) wholesale
sales or transfers of fuel refined in the city. A sale is in the city if the fuel is delivered to the buyer in the
city. A use is in the city if the fuel is consumed in the city. This subsection applies to home rule and general law
- (f) The prohibitions on the levy and collection of a sales or use tax on refined fuel in (e) of this section do not apply
to a city if, on September 16, 2003, the city is
- (1) levying and collecting a sales or use tax on the sale, use, or transfer of refined fuel under an ordinance adopted
before January 1, 2003; or
- (2) receiving payments in lieu of a sales or use tax on the sale, use, or transfer of refined fuel under an agreement
entered into before January 1, 2003.
- (g) A city may not levy or collect a sales or use tax on a construction contract awarded by the state or a state
agency, or on a subcontract awarded in connection with the project funded under the construction contract. This subsection applies to
home rule and general law cities.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.