Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 29. Municipal Government
- Chapter 25. Municipal Enactments
- Section 70. Penalties.
previous: Section 60
next: Section 72
. Civil Penalties For Violation of Municipal Ordinances By Minors.
AS 29.25.070. Penalties.
- (a) For the violation of an ordinance, a municipality may by ordinance prescribe a penalty not to exceed a fine of $1,000
and imprisonment for 90 days. For a violation that cannot result in incarceration or the loss of a valuable license, a
municipality may allow disposition of the violation without court appearance and establish a schedule of fine amounts
for each offense.
- (b) The municipality or an aggrieved person may institute a civil action against a person, including a minor as provided
in AS 29.25.072
, who violates an ordinance. In addition to injunctive and compensatory relief, a civil penalty not to exceed $1,000
may be imposed for each violation. An action to enjoin a violation may be brought notwithstanding the availability of
any other remedy. On application for injunctive relief and a finding of a violation or a threatened violation, the
superior court shall grant the injunction. Each day that a violation of an ordinance continues constitutes a separate
- (c) The penalties authorized under this section may be imposed only if copies of the ordinance are made available for
distribution to the public at no more than cost.
- (d) This section does not apply to an ordinance adopted under AS 04.11.501(c).
- (e) The municipality shall provide written notice to the commissioner of health and social services or to the
commissioner's designee of the commencement of a civil enforcement action for the violation of an ordinance under (b)
of this section against a minor. Unless the commissioner and the municipality have negotiated an agreement making other
arrangements for the municipality to provide the notice required by this subsection, the municipality shall provide the
notice by mailing a copy of the citation or other document setting out the notice of the commencement of the civil
enforcement action. This subsection applies to home rule and general law municipalities.
- (f) In this section, "minor" means a person under 18 years of age.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.