(a) The municipal clerk shall
(1) attend meetings of the governing body and its boards and committees as required and keep the journal;
(2) have custody of the official municipal seal;
(3) assure that notice and other requirements for public meetings are complied with and assure that public records are available for public inspection as required by law;
(4) manage municipal records and develop retention schedules and procedures for inventory, storage, and destruction of records as necessary;
(5) maintain an indexed file of all permanent municipal records, provide for codification of ordinances, and authenticate or certify records as necessary;
(6) prepare agendas and agenda packets as required by the governing body;
(7) administer all municipal elections;
(8) assure that the municipality complies with 42 U.S.C. 1971-1974 (Voting Rights Act of 1965, as amended);
(9) take oaths, affirmations, and acknowledgements as necessary;
(10) act as the parliamentary advisor to the governing body;
(11) perform other duties required by law, the governing body, or the chief administrator.
(b) The governing body may combine the office of clerk with that of treasurer. If the offices are combined, the clerk-treasurer shall, as required of the treasurer, give bond to the municipality for the faithful performance of the duties as clerk-treasurer.
(c) The municipal clerk may act as an absentee voting official under AS 15.20.045(c) for the limited purpose of distributing absentee ballots to qualified voters or qualified voters’ representatives under AS 15.20.072 in a municipality in which the division of elections will not be operating an absentee voting station.
Other Sections in this Chapter:
- Sec. 29.20.010. Conflict of interest.
- Sec. 29.20.020. Meetings public.
- Sec. 29.20.050. Legislative power.
- Sec. 29.20.060. Assembly composition and apportionment.
- Sec. 29.20.070. Assembly composition and form of representation.
- Sec. 29.20.080. Assembly recomposition and reapportionment.
- Sec. 29.20.090. Apportionment appeals.
- Sec. 29.20.100. Judicial review and relief.
- Sec. 29.20.110. Effective date of apportionment.
- Sec. 29.20.120. Applicability of apportionment provisions.
- Sec. 29.20.130. City council composition.
- Sec. 29.20.140. Qualifications.
- Sec. 29.20.150. Term of office.
- Sec. 29.20.160. Procedures of governing bodies.
- Sec. 29.20.170. Vacancies.
- Sec. 29.20.180. Filling a vacancy.
- Sec. 29.20.220. Executive power.
- Sec. 29.20.230. Election and term of mayor.
- Sec. 29.20.240. Qualifications for the office of mayor.
- Sec. 29.20.250. Powers and duties of mayor.
- Sec. 29.20.260. Executive absence.
- Sec. 29.20.270. Veto.
- Sec. 29.20.280. Vacancy in the office of mayor.
- Sec. 29.20.300. School boards.
- Sec. 29.20.310. Utility boards.
- Sec. 29.20.320. Other boards and commissions.
- Sec. 29.20.360. Appointment of officials.
- Sec. 29.20.370. Municipal attorney.
- Sec. 29.20.390. Municipal treasurer.
- Sec. 29.20.400. Departments.
- Sec. 29.20.410. Personnel system.
- Sec. 29.20.460. Manager plan.
- Sec. 29.20.470. Election on adoption of manager plan.
- Sec. 29.20.480. Adoption of manager plan.
- Sec. 29.20.490. Appointment of manager.
- Sec. 29.20.500. Powers and duties of a manager.
- Sec. 29.20.510. Intergovernmental appointment of manager.
- Sec. 29.20.520. Repeal of manager plan.
- Sec. 29.20.600. Oaths of office.
- Sec. 29.20.610. Bonding.
- Sec. 29.20.620. Compensation for elected officials.
- Sec. 29.20.630. Prohibited discrimination.
- Sec. 29.20.640. Reports.