(a) The driver of a vehicle that approaches from any direction a school bus stopped on a highway or vehicular way or area shall stop not less than 30 feet from the school bus before reaching it when there are in operation on the school bus flashing red lights as required by regulation. The driver may not proceed until the school bus proceeds and the flashing lights are no longer illuminated.
(b) When a school bus is stopped on a highway or vehicular way or area, whether or not there are in operation on the school bus flashing red lights as required by regulation, the driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to a person crossing a highway, vehicular way, or area to embark on or disembark from the school bus, whether or not the person is crossing within a marked crosswalk.
(c) The driver of a vehicle on a highway with separate roadways is not required to stop when meeting or passing a school bus that is on a different roadway or, if upon a controlled access highway, when a school bus is stopped off the highway in a loading zone that is part of, or adjacent to, the controlled access highway, and pedestrians are not permitted to cross the highway.
(d) A driver convicted under this section is guilty of a class B misdemeanor and, in addition to other penalties as provided by law, is subject to a mandatory assessment of six demerit points under AS 28.15.221 — 28.15.261.
(e) A vehicle owner, or in the case of a leased vehicle a lessee, is guilty of an infraction as described in AS 28.90.010(d) and may be punished by a fine not to exceed $100, if the vehicle owned or leased by the person is operated in violation of this section. The owner or lessee may not be penalized if the vehicle was stolen, or the driver of the vehicle is convicted under (d) of this section. This subsection does not apply to a lessor of a vehicle if the lessor keeps a record of the name and address of the lessee. A violation of this subsection may not result in the loss of a driver’s license or privilege to drive and does not constitute grounds for assessment of demerit points under AS 28.15.221 — 28.15.261. This subsection does not prohibit or limit the prosecution of a vehicle driver for violating (a) or (b) of this section.
Sec. 28.35.150. Unlawful to interfere with or destroy official traffic control device or highway construction; action by state for damages. [Repealed, § 25 ch 144 SLA 1977.]
Other Sections in this Chapter:
- Sec. 28.35.028. Court-ordered treatment.
- Sec. 28.35.030. Operating a vehicle, aircraft, or watercraft while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage, inhalant, or controlled substance. Repealed
- Sec. 28.35.032. Refusal to submit to chemical test. Repealed
- Sec. 28.35.034. Surrender of license or permit.
- Sec. 28.35.036. Forfeiture of vehicle, aircraft, or watercraft.
- Sec. 28.35.039. Definitions for AS 28.35.029 Renumbered
- Sec. 28.35.050. Action of operator immediately after accident.
- Sec. 28.35.060. Duty of operator to give information and render assistance.
- Sec. 28.35.070. Examination or impounding before repair.
- Sec. 28.35.080. Immediate notice of accident.
- Sec. 28.35.090. Rendering of report by others.
- Sec. 28.35.100. Form of reports.
- Sec. 28.35.110. Penalty for giving false information in report or failing to report.
- Sec. 28.35.120. Use of accident reports in evidence.
- Sec. 28.35.130. False report or destruction of evidence involving a vehicle.
- Sec. 28.35.135. Unlawful to knowingly make false statement, application, or certification.
- Sec. 28.35.140. Unlawful obstruction or blocking of traffic; duty to yield to following traffic.
- Sec. 28.35.155. Operation of vehicle with certain tires prohibited. Repealed
- Sec. 28.35.161. Use of electronic devices while driving; unlawful installation of television, monitor, or similar device. Repealed
- Sec. 28.35.175. Propane gas detector required.
- Sec. 28.35.180. Disobedience to signals of officer regulating traffic prohibited.
- Sec. 28.35.182. Failure to stop at direction of peace officer.
- Sec. 28.35.185. Overtaking and passing certain stationary vehicles. Repealed
- Sec. 28.35.225. Enforcement. Renumbered
- Sec. 28.35.235. Unauthorized use of parking reserved for persons with disabilities; penalties. Repealed
- Sec. 28.35.245. Motorcycle helmet. Repealed
- Sec. 28.35.251. Contained or confined loads.
- Sec. 28.35.253. Anti-spray devices required.
- Sec. 28.35.255. Penalty. Renumbered
- Sec. 28.35.261. Operation of low-speed vehicles. Renumbered
- Sec. 28.35.280. Minor operating a vehicle after consuming alcohol.
- Sec. 28.35.285. Minor’s refusal to submit to chemical test.
- Sec. 28.35.290. Driving during the 24 hours after being cited for alcohol or breath test offenses.
- Sec. 28.35.300. Tampering with or damaging a vehicle.
- Sec. 28.35.310. Renting a motor vehicle.
- Sec. 28.35.320. Failure to return rental vehicle.
- Sec. 28.35.400. Reckless driving.
- Sec. 28.35.410. Negligent driving.