Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 28. Motor Vehicles
- Chapter 15. Drivers' Licenses
- Section 21. Persons Exempt From Driver Licensing.
previous: Section 15
. , 28.15.020l Medical Exams; Exemptions. [Repealed, Sec. 19 Ch 178 SLA 1978].
next: Section 30
. Persons Not to Be Licensed. [Repealed, Sec. 19 Ch 178 SLA 1978].
AS 28.15.021. Persons Exempt From Driver Licensing.
The following persons are exempt from driver licensing under this chapter:
- (1) an employee of the United States government while operating a motor vehicle owned by or leased to the United States
government and being operated on official business, unless the employee is required by the United States government or
an agency of that government to have a state driver's license;
- (2) a nonresident who is at least 16 years of age and who has a valid driver's license issued by another jurisdiction;
however, an Alaska driver's license must be obtained by the end of a 90-day period after entry into the state;
- (3) a member of the armed forces of the United States who has a valid driver's license issued by another jurisdiction when
the permanent residence of the member is maintained in that jurisdiction;
- (4) a person when driving an implement of husbandry, as defined by regulation, that is only temporarily driven or moved on
- (5) a person when driving or operating an off-highway vehicle, watercraft, aircraft, or other vehicle not designed for
highway use as specified by the department by regulation;
- (6) a person who is at least 16 years of age with a valid driver's license from a jurisdiction other than Alaska while
driving a motor-driven cycle; however, an Alaska driver's license for driving a motor-driven cycle must be obtained by
the end of a 90-day period after entering the state;
- (7) a person when operating an electric personal motor vehicle.
- (8) certain drivers in the United States military service who are operating commercial motor
vehicles for military purposes; in this paragraph, "certain drivers in the United States military service"
- (A) means
- (i) a member of the United States active duty military, including active duty United States Coast Guard;
- (ii) a member of the United States military reserves;
- (iii) a member of the Alaska National Guard or the national guard of another state on active duty
in this state, including a member on part-time Alaska National Guard training; and
- (iv) an individual who serves as an Alaska National Guard military technician; in this sub-
subparagraph, "Alaska National Guard military technician" means an individual who is not a member of the military, but
is required to wear a military uniform;
- (B) does not include an individual who serves as a United States Military Reserve technician;
- (9) drivers employed by a municipality or established village, as that term is defined in AS 04.21.080 , with a population of 3,000 or less operating
snow removal equipment in this state within the boundaries of the municipality or established village if
- (A) the employee who is properly licensed in this state and ordinarily operates the equipment is
- (B) the municipality or established village determines that an emergency exists that requires
- (10) a nonresident who holds a valid commercial driver's license issued by another jurisdiction
when the permanent residence of the commercial driver is maintained in that jurisdiction.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.