Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 25. Marital and Domestic Relations
- Chapter 5. Alaska Marriage Code
- Section 171. Persons Capable of Consenting to Marriage: Minimum Ages, and Consent of Parents or Guardian.
previous: Section 170
. Penalty for Unlawful Issuance. [Repealed, Sec. 2 Ch 58 SLA 1963].
next: Section 180
. Blank Forms to be Prescribed and Furnished. [Repealed, Sec. 2 Ch 58 SLA 1963].
AS 25.05.171. Persons Capable of Consenting to Marriage: Minimum Ages, and Consent of Parents or Guardian.
- (a) A person who has reached the age of 16 but is under the age of 18 shall be issued a marriage license if the written
consent of the parents, the parent having actual care, custody, and control, or a guardian of the underaged person is
filed with the licensing officer issuing the marriage license under AS 25.05.111
- (b) A superior court judge may grant permission for a person who has reached the age of 14 but is under the age of 18 to
marry and may order the licensing officer to issue the license if the judge finds, following a hearing at which the
parents and minor are given the opportunity to appear and be heard, that the marriage is in the best interest of the
minor and that either
- (1) the parents have given their consent; or
- (2) the parents are
- (A) arbitrarily and capriciously withholding consent;
- (B) absent or otherwise unaccountable;
- (C) in disagreement among themselves on the question; or
- (D) unfit to decide the matter.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.