Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 21. Insurance
- Chapter 86. Health Maintenance Organizations
- Section 30. Powers of a Health Maintenance Organization.
previous: Section 20
. Issuance of Certificate of Authority; Approval of Changes.
next: Section 40
. Governing Body; Enrollee Participation.
AS 21.86.030. Powers of a Health Maintenance Organization.
- (a) A health maintenance organization may
- (1) purchase, lease, construct, renovate, operate, or maintain hospitals, other health care facilities, their ancillary
equipment, and property reasonably required for its principal office or for purposes necessary in the transaction of
the business of the organization;
- (2) make loans to a medical group under contract with it in furtherance of its program, or make loans to a corporation or
corporations under its control for the purpose of acquiring or constructing medical facilities and hospitals or in
furtherance of a program providing health care services to enrollees;
- (3) furnish health care services through providers that are under contract with or employed by the health maintenance
- (4) contract with a person for the performance, on the organization's behalf, of certain functions such as marketing,
enrollment, and administration;
- (5) contract with an insurance company licensed in this state, or with a hospital or medical service corporation
authorized to do business in this state, for the provision of insurance, indemnity, or reimbursement against the cost
of health care services provided by the health maintenance organization;
- (6) offer other health care services, in addition to basic health care services.
- (b) A health maintenance organization shall file a notice and adequate supporting information with the director before the
exercise of a power granted in (a)(1), (2), or (4) of this section. The director may disapprove the exercise of a
power only if, in the director's opinion, it would substantially and adversely affect the financial soundness of the
health maintenance organization and endanger its ability to meet its obligations. If the director does not disapprove
the exercise of power within 30 days after the filing of the notice, it is considered approved. The director may adopt
regulations exempting from the filing requirement of this section those activities having a minimal effect on the
health maintenance organization.
- (c) Nothing in this section relieves a health maintenance organization that wishes to exercise the power described in
(a)(1) of this section from the requirements of
- (1) AS 18.07, regarding obtaining a certificate of need;
- (2) AS 47.32, regarding regulation of hospitals; and
- (3) other statutes applicable to hospitals or other health care facilities.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.