Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 21. Insurance
- Chapter 85. Regulation of Multiple Employer Welfare Arrangements
- Section 500. Definitions.
previous: Section 100
. Applicability of Other Provisions.
next: Chapter 86
. Health Maintenance Organizations
AS 21.85.500. Definitions.
In this chapter,
- (1) "allowable benefit" means a benefit for medical care;
- (2) "bona fide association" has the meaning given in AS 21.54.500
- (3) "claims liability" means the total of all incurred and unpaid claims for allowable benefits under a self-funded
multiple employer welfare arrangement that are not reimbursed or reimbursable by stop-loss insurance, subrogation, or
- (4) "health benefit plan" has the meaning given in AS 21.54.500
- (5) "multiple employer welfare arrangement" has the meaning given in 29 U.S.C. 1002; "multiple employer welfare
arrangement" does not include a group that the director designates under AS 21.54.060
(5) as subject to issuance of a group health insurance policy;
- (6) "qualified actuary" means an individual who
- (A) is a member in good standing of the American Academy of Actuaries;
- (B) meets the qualification standards of the American Academy of Actuaries to sign statements of actuarial opinion;
- (C) is familiar with the valuation requirements under AS 21.18; and
- (D) has not been disqualified by the director, after notice and hearing under AS 21.06.180
- (i) a violation of this title or other law pertinent to the duties or responsibilities of a qualified actuary;
- (ii) conviction of a fraudulent act;
- (iii) conduct considered by the director to reflect incompetence or untrustworthiness;
- (iv) resignation or removal as an actuary with a company or a consulting firm within the past five years due to acts or
omissions indicated in a report of examination or due to failure to adhere to generally accepted actuarial standards;
- (v) failure to notify the director of an action taken against the actuary by an insurance regulator of another state for
grounds that are substantially the same as a provision under this paragraph;
- (7) "reserves" means the excess of assets of a self-funded multiple employer welfare arrangement minus the liabilities of
- (8) "self-funded multiple employer welfare arrangement" or "arrangement" means a multiple employer welfare arrangement
that does not provide for payment of benefits under the arrangement solely through a policy of insurance issued by one
or more authorized insurance companies.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.