Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 21. Insurance
- Chapter 84. Fraternal Benefit Societies
- Section 900. Definitions.
previous: Section 700
. Exemption of Certain Societies.
next: Chapter 85
. Regulation of Multiple Employer Welfare Arrangements
AS 21.84.900. Definitions.
In this chapter,
- (1) "alien society" means a society formed under the laws other than those of the United States of America, its states,
territories, or the District of Columbia;
- (2) "benefit contract" means the agreement for provision of benefits authorized by AS 21.84.201
, as that agreement is described in AS 21.84.255(a);
- (3) "benefit member" means an adult member who is designated by the laws or rules of the society to be a benefit member
under a benefit contract;
- (4) "certificate" means the document issued as written evidence of the benefit contract;
- (5) "domestic society" means a society formed under the laws of this state;
- (6) "foreign society" means a society formed under the laws of another state, a territory belonging to the United States
of America, or the District of Columbia;
- (7) "fraternal benefit society" means an incorporated society, order, or supreme lodge, without capital stock, including
one exempted under AS 21.84.700
(a)(2), whether incorporated or not, that is conducted solely for the benefit of its members and their beneficiaries
and not for profit, that is operated on a lodge system with ritualistic form of work, that has a representative form of
government, and that makes provision for the payment of benefits under this chapter;
- (8) "laws" means the society's articles of incorporation, constitution, and bylaws, however designated;
- (9) "lodge" means subordinate member units of the society known as camps, courts, councils, branches, or another
- (10) "lodge system" means a society having a supreme governing body and subordinate lodges into which members are elected,
initiated, or admitted under its laws, ritual, and rules; subordinate lodges are required by the laws of the society to
hold regular meetings at least once in each month in furtherance of the purposes of the society;
- (11) "premiums" means rates, dues, or other required contribution by whatever name known that are payable under the
- (12) "rules" means all rules, regulations, or resolutions adopted by the supreme governing body or board of directors that
are intended to have general application to the members of the society.
- (13) "society," unless otherwise indicated, means a fraternal benefit society.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.