Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 19. Highways and Ferries
- Chapter 45. Miscellaneous Provisions; Definitions and Penalties
- Section 1. Definitions.
previous: Chapter 45
. Miscellaneous Provisions; Definitions and Penalties
next: Section 2
AS 19.45.001. Definitions.
In AS 19.05 - AS 19.40
- (1) "commissioner" means the commissioner of transportation and public facilities;
- (2) "construction" or any derivation means construction, reconstruction, alteration, improvement or major repair;
- (3) "controlled-access facility" means a highway especially designed for through traffic, and over, from, or to which
owners or occupants of abutting land or other persons have either no right or easement or only a controlled right or
easement of access, light, air, or view;
- (4) "cost of change, relocation, or removal" means the entire cost incurred by the utility properly attributed to the
change, relocation, or removal of a facility, less any costs for improvements or upgrading over and above the cost of a
functionally equal facility; if a facility is to be relocated and replaced with new equipment, there shall also be
subtracted from the entire cost any salvage value derived from the old facility;
- (5) "department" means the Department of Transportation and Public Facilities;
- (6) "encroachment" means and includes a tower, pole, pole line, pipe, pipeline, driveway, private road, fence, billboard,
stand or building, or a structure or object of any kind which is or has been placed in, on, under or over a portion of
a highway or road;
- (7) [Repealed, Sec. 61 ch 50 SLA 1989].
- (8) "federal-aid primary, federal-aid secondary, and interstate system" include any highway which is a part of the
federal-aid systems as provided in the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956, and any laws amending or supplementing it;
- (9) "highway" includes a highway (whether included in primary or secondary systems), road, street, trail, walk, bridge,
tunnel, drainage structure and other similar or related structure or facility, and right-of-way thereof, and further
includes a ferry system, whether operated solely inside the state or to connect with a Canadian highway, and any such
- (10) "maintenance" means the preservation of each type of highway, roadside structure and facility as nearly as possible in
its original condition as constructed, or as subsequently improved, and the operation of highway facilities and
services to provide satisfactory and safe highways;
- (11) "municipality" means an incorporated city or political subdivision which has jurisdiction over highways in its
- (12) "utility" includes a corporation, company, individual, or association of individuals, or a lessee, trustee, or
court-appointed receiver, that owns, operates, manages, or controls a line, plant, pipeline, or system for furnishing,
producing, generating, transmitting, or distributing power, electricity, communications, telecommunications, water,
gas, oil, petroleum products, coal or other mineral slurry, steam, heat, light, chemicals, air, sewage, drainage not
connected with highway drainage, irrigation, or similar products including publicly owned fire and police signal
systems and street lighting systems that directly or indirectly serve the public or a segment of the public; "utility"
also includes a corporation, company, individual, or association of individuals, or a lessee, trustee, or
court-appointed receiver that owns, operates, manages, or controls a system for furnishing transportation of goods or
persons by means of a railway, tramway, cableway, conveyor, flume, canal, tunnel, pipeline, or a similar means;
- (13) "utility facility" includes poles, plants, lines, trenches, bridges, utilidors, tunnels, pipelines, and any other
system for furnishing, producing, generating, transmitting, or distributing power, electricity, communications,
telecommunications, water, gas, oil, petroleum products, coal or other mineral slurry, steam, heat, light, chemicals,
air, sewage, drainage not connected with a highway drainage system, irrigation, or another substance; "utility
facility" also includes a system for furnishing transportation of goods or persons by means of railway, tramway,
cableway, conveyor, flume, canal, tunnel, pipeline, or a similar means.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.