Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 18. Health, Safety, and Housing
- Chapter 80. State Commission For Human Rights
- Section 130. Order; Interest Rate.
previous: Section 120
. Hearing; Interest Rate.
next: Section 135
. Judicial Review and Enforcement.
AS 18.80.130. Order; Interest Rate.
- (a) At the completion of the hearing or after consideration of a petition for summary decision under AS 18.80.120 (e), if the commission finds that a person charged in an
accusation has engaged in the discriminatory practice alleged in the accusation, it shall order the person to refrain from engaging in
the discriminatory practice. The order must include findings of fact and may order the person to take affirmative action to correct the
discriminatory practice. The commission may not order an award of noneconomic or punitive damages in a case. In a case involving a
discriminatory practice in
- (1) employment, the commission may order any appropriate relief, including one or more of the following:
training of an employer, labor organization, or employment agency, and its employees concerning discriminatory practices; an
accommodation for a person with a disability; removal of or changes to a personnel record; posting of signs; back pay; the hiring,
reinstatement, or upgrading of an employee with or without back pay; the payment of front pay for a period of not more than one year if
hiring, reinstatement, or upgrading of an employee is inappropriate because a vacancy does not exist, the employer's discriminatory
practice rendered the employee incapable of returning to work, or the relationship between the employer and employee has so deteriorated
as to make working conditions intolerable; restoration to membership in a labor organization; admission to or participation in an
apprenticeship training program, on-the-job training program, or other retraining program; or restoration of seniority; however, an
order for back pay or front pay must be reduced by the amount the employee could have earned or could earn by making reasonably diligent
efforts to obtain similar employment;
- (2) housing, the commission may order the sale, lease, or rental of the housing accommodation to the aggrieved
person if it is still available, or the sale, lease, or rental of a like accommodation owned by the person charged in the accusation if
one is still available, or the sale, lease, or rental of the next vacancy in a like accommodation, owned by the person charged in the
accusation; the commission may award actual damages, which shall include the expenses incurred by the complainant for obtaining
alternative housing or space; for storage of goods and effects; and for moving and other costs actually incurred as a result of the
unlawful practice or violation.
- (b) The order may require a report on the manner of compliance.
- (c) If the commission finds that a person charged in an accusation has not engaged in the discriminatory practice
alleged in the accusation, it shall issue and cause to be served on the complainant an order dismissing the complaint.
- (d) A copy of the order shall be filed in all cases with the attorney general of this state.
- (e) The commission may order payment of reasonable expenses, including reasonable attorney fees to any private party
before the commission when the commission, in its discretion, determines the allowance is appropriate.
- (f) The interest rate for an award under this section is determined in the manner provided in AS 09.30.070 .
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.