Alaska Statutes.
Title 18. Health, Safety, and Housing
Chapter 65. Police Protection
Section 520. Notification to Victims of Domestic Violence.
previous: Section 515. Duties of Peace Officer in a Crime Involving Domestic Violence.
next: Section 530. Mandatory Arrest For Crimes Involving Domestic Violence, Violation of Protective Orders, and Violation of Conditions of Release.

AS 18.65.520. Notification to Victims of Domestic Violence.

(a) A peace officer investigating a crime involving domestic violence shall orally and in writing inform the victim of the rights of victims of domestic violence and the services available to them. The notice must be in substantially the following form:

If you are the victim of domestic violence and you believe that law

enforcement protection is needed for your physical safety, you have the

right to request that the officer assist in providing for your safety,

including asking for an emergency protective order.                    

You may also request the officer to assist you in obtaining your

essential personal belongings and locating and taking you to a safe

place, including a designated meeting place or shelter, the residence

of a household member or friend, or a similar place of safety. In some

places in Alaska there are organizations that provide aid and shelter

to victims of domestic violence. The nearest organization is located

 at __________.                                                        

If you are in need of medical treatment, you may request that the

officer assist you in obtaining medical treatment.                     

You may obtain information about whether the prosecuting attorney

will file a criminal complaint about the domestic violence.            

Additionally, the victim/witness assistance program of the Department

of Law may be able to help you. This information is available from the

district attorney's office, which is located at __________.            

You also have the right to file a petition in court requesting a

protective order that may include any of the following provisions:     

(1) prohibit your abuser from threatening to commit or committing

further acts of domestic violence;                                     

(2) prohibit your abuser from stalking, harassing, telephoning,

contacting, or otherwise communicating with you, directly or


    (3) remove your abuser from your residence;                        

(4) order your abuser to stay away from your residence, school,

place of employment, or any other specified place frequented by you or

another designated household member;                                   

(5) prohibit your abuser from entering your vehicle or a vehicle

 you occupy;                                                           

(6) prohibit your abuser from using or possessing a deadly weapon

if the court finds your abuser was in the actual possession of or used

a weapon during the commission of your abuse;                          

(7) direct your abuser to surrender any firearm owned or possessed

by that person if the court finds your abuser was in the actual        

possession of or used a firearm during the commission of your abuse;

(8) request a peace officer to accompany you to your residence to

ensure your safe possession of the residence, vehicle, or other items,

or to ensure your safe removal of personal items from the residence;

(9) award temporary custody of a minor child to the petitioner and

may arrange for visitation with a minor child if the safety of the

 child and the petitioner can be protected;                            

(10) grant you possession and use of a vehicle and other essential

personal effects;                                                      

(11) prohibit your abuser from consuming controlled substances;

(12) require your abuser to pay support for you or a minor child in

your care if there is an independent legal obligation of your abuser to

support you or the child;                                              

(13) require your abuser to reimburse you for your expenses caused

by domestic violence, including medical bills, or for your costs in

getting a protective order;                                            

(14) order your abuser to participate in an intervention program

 for batterers; and                                                    

(15) other relief the court determines to be necessary for your


The forms you need to obtain a protective order are available from

the nearest court. It is not necessary to have an attorney to obtain a

protective order, but you may consult an attorney if you choose. If you

would like help obtaining a protective order, you may contact the      

nearest domestic violence program located at ________. The program can

also tell you about other resources available in this community for

information about domestic violence, treatment of injuries, and places

of safety and shelter.                                                 

   You may also qualify for compensation from the Violent Crimes       

Compensation Board. The board may be contacted at ___________________.

(b) If the victim of domestic violence does not understand English, the police officer shall make reasonable efforts to inform the victim of the services and rights specified in (a) of this section in a language the victim understands.

(c) [Repealed, Sec. 72 ch 64 SLA 1996].

All content © 2008 by Touch N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.

Note to HTML Version:

This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We hope you find this information useful.