Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 16. Fish and Game
- Chapter 5. Fish and Game Code
- Section 782. Taking of Brown or Grizzly Bear Near Solid Waste Disposal Facility Prohibited.
previous: Section 780
. Taking of Antlerless Moose Prohibited.
next: Section 783
. Same Day Airborne Hunting.
AS 16.05.782. Taking of Brown or Grizzly Bear Near Solid Waste Disposal Facility Prohibited.
- (a) Except as provided in (d) of this section, a person who with criminal negligence takes a brown or grizzly bear within
one-half mile of a solid waste disposal facility is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.
- (b) In addition to the penalty imposed by law under (a) of this section, the court shall order forfeiture of the hide and
skull of the bear, but if the hide and skull are not salvaged and delivered to the department then the court shall
impose an additional fine of up to $10,000.
- (c) It is an affirmative defense to a prosecution under (a) of this section that the person took the bear in defense of
life or property if the person who took the bear shows by a preponderance of the evidence that
- (1) the necessity for the taking was not brought about by harassment or provocation of the bear by the person who took the
- (2) the necessity for the taking was not brought about by the negligent disposal of garbage or the creation of a similar
attractive nuisance by the person who took the bear; and
- (3) the person exhausted all other practicable means to protect life and property before the bear was taken.
- (d) Notwithstanding (a) - (c) of this section, the department may authorize the taking of a problem brown or grizzly bear
within one-half mile of a solid waste disposal facility at any time, if the taking of the bear is necessary to protect
the public and is consistent with sound game management principles.
- (e) In this section
- (1) "criminal negligence" has the meaning given in AS 11.81.900
- (2) "property" means
- (A) a dwelling, permanent or temporary;
- (B) an aircraft, boat, automobile, or other conveyance;
- (C) a domestic animal;
- (D) other property of substantial value necessary for the livelihood or survival of the owner;
- (3) "solid waste disposal facility" means a facility for the disposal of solid waste, other than sewage, for which a prior
authorization has been issued under AS 46.03.100
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.