Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 43. Financial Aid Programs For Postsecondary Students
- Section 600. Findings and Intent.
previous: Section 510
. Repayment Condition For Medical Education Program Participants.
next: Section 610
. Program Established.
AS 14.43.600. Findings and Intent.
- (a) The legislature finds that there is a wide and unacceptable disparity between the distribution of Native teachers and
Native students in rural elementary and secondary schools in the state. Many rural schools have virtually no Native
teachers and no non-Native students. The undesirable effects of this disparity include the following:
- (1) there is a serious weakness in the ability of teaching staffs in rural schools to foster a sense of Native traditions
and cultures in the Native students;
- (2) many rural students are forced to exist in two entirely separate situations: the essentially traditional atmosphere of
many Native homes, and the essentially modern atmosphere of the classroom;
- (3) almost no Native students return to rural schools to teach, continuing the imbalance and exacerbating its effects; and
- (4) there is an annual turnover of 40 percent among teachers in regional educational attendance areas in the state.
- (b) The legislature further finds that existing programs have failed to increase the proportion of Natives teaching in
rural schools. Therefore, it is the intent of the legislature to establish the teacher education loan program to
encourage rural high school graduates to return to rural schools as teachers and relieve the conditions described in
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.