Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 30. Pupils and Educational Programs For Pupils
- Section 285. Transfers of Children With Disabilities.
previous: Section 280
. Psychologist Qualifications. [Repealed, Sec. 19 Ch 147 SLA 1984].
next: Section 290
. Purposes of Appropriations. [Repealed, Sec. 5 Ch 70 SLA 1963].
AS 14.30.285. Transfers of Children With Disabilities.
- (a) The department shall institute a statewide program for the education of children with disabilities to ensure that
whenever possible children are educated in the state at locations in or near their resident school district.
- (b) An identified child with a disability may be sent to an educational program or residential school outside the child's
community or school district if the child resides in a community or school district where an appropriate educational
program cannot reasonably be made available and if the school district determines that provision of special education
and related services in another educational program or residential school is appropriate. If the school district
approves the enrollment of a child with a disability in another educational program or residential school outside the
child's community or school district and the child is enrolled, the child's education expenses shall be paid as
- (1) except as otherwise provided by (2) of this subsection, the sending district shall pay all costs associated with the
- (2) the department may provide financial assistance to the school district for a child's education provided for in (1) of
this subsection under regulations adopted by the department.
- (c) [Repealed, Sec. 19 ch 147 SLA 1984].
- (d) For the purposes of this section a child's education expenses are limited to the actual cost of necessary care,
transportation, and special education and related services, including room and board.
- (e) The educational assessment of a child with a disability that indicates that the educational program that is locally
available is inappropriate for the needs of the child must conform to the standards set out in AS 14.30.191
- (f) A school district shall obtain informed consent of the child's parent before a child may be transferred to a school
outside the district in which the child resides.
- (g) The withholding of informed consent by a parent for the transfer of a child with a disability under this section does
not relieve a school district of the obligation to provide special education and related services to the child.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.