Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 25. Teachers' Retirement
- Section 470. Eligibility for Retirement and Medical Benefits.
previous: Section 460
. Rights Under Qualified Domestic Relations Order.
next: Section 480
. Medical Benefits.
AS 14.25.470. Eligibility for Retirement and Medical Benefits.
- (a) In order to obtain medical benefits under AS 14.25.480 , a member must retire directly from the plan. A
member is eligible to retire from the plan if the member has been an active member for at least 12 months before application for
- (1) the member has at least 30 years of service; or
- (2) the member reaches the normal retirement age and has at least 10 years of service.
- (b) The normal retirement age is the age set for Medicare eligibility at the time the member retires.
- (c) A member's surviving spouse is eligible to elect medical benefits under AS 14.25.480 if the member had retired, or was eligible for retirement and
medical benefits at the time of the member's death.
- (d) A member shall apply for retirement and medical benefits on the forms and in the manner prescribed by the
- (e) Participation in the retiree major medical insurance plan is not required in order to participate in the
health reimbursement arrangement.
- (f) A person eligible for retirement and medical benefits is not required to participate in the health
reimbursement arrangement in order to elect participation in the retiree major medical insurance plan.
- (g) An eligible person shall make the irrevocable election to participate or not participate in the retiree
major medical insurance plan by reaching 70 1/2 years of age, or upon application for retirement and medical benefits, whichever is later.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.