Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 14. Education, Libraries, and Museums
- Chapter 14. Local Administration of Schools
- Section 60. Relationship Between Borough School District and Borough; Finances and Buildings.
previous: Section 50
. Annual Audit.
next: Section 65
. Relationship Between City School District and City.
AS 14.14.060. Relationship Between Borough School District and Borough; Finances and Buildings.
- (a) The borough assembly may by ordinance require that all school money be deposited in a centralized treasury with all
other borough money. The borough administrator shall have the custody of, invest, and manage all money in the
centralized treasury. However, the borough assembly, with the consent of the borough school board, may by ordinance
delegate to the borough school board the responsibility of a centralized treasury.
- (b) When the borough school board by resolution consents, the borough assembly may by ordinance provide a centralized
accounting system for school and all other borough operations. The system shall be operated in accordance with accepted
principles of governmental accounting. However, the assembly, with the consent of the borough school board, may by
ordinance delegate to the borough school board the responsibilities of the accounting system.
- (c) Except as otherwise provided by municipal ordinance, the borough school board shall submit the school budget for the
following school year to the borough assembly by May 1 for approval of the total amount. Within 30 days after receipt
of the budget the assembly shall determine the total amount of money to be made available from local sources for school
purposes and shall furnish the school board with a statement of the sum to be made available. If the assembly does not,
within 30 days, furnish the school board with a statement of the sum to be made available, the amount requested in the
budget is automatically approved. Except as otherwise provided by municipal ordinance, by June 30, the assembly shall
appropriate the amount to be made available from local sources from money available for the purpose.
- (d) The borough assembly shall determine the location of school buildings with due consideration to the recommendations of
the borough school board.
- (e) The borough school board is responsible for the design criteria of school buildings. To the maximum extent consistent
with education needs, a design of a school building shall provide for multiple use of the building for community
purposes. Subject to the approval of the assembly, the school board shall select the appropriate professional
personnel to develop the designs. The school board shall submit preliminary and subsequent designs for a school
building to the assembly for approval or disapproval; if the design is disapproved, a revised design shall be prepared
and presented to the assembly. A design or revised design approved by the assembly shall be submitted by the board to
the department in accordance with AS 14.07.020
- (f) The borough school board shall provide custodial services and routine maintenance for school buildings and shall
appoint, compensate, and otherwise control personnel for these purposes. The borough assembly through the borough
administrator, shall provide for all major rehabilitation, all construction and major repair of school buildings. The
recommendations of the school board shall be considered in carrying out the provisions of this section.
- (g) State law relating to teacher salaries and tenure, to financial support, to supervision by the department and other
general laws relating to schools, governs the exercise of the functions by the borough. The school board shall appoint,
compensate, and otherwise control all school employees and administration officers in accordance with this title.
- (h) School boards within the borough may determine their own policy separate from the borough for the purchase of supplies
- (i) Notwithstanding (e) and (f) of this section, a borough assembly and a borough school board may divide the duties
imposed under (e) and (f) of this section by agreement between the borough assembly and borough school board.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.