Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 13. Decedents' Estates, Guardianships, Transfers, and Trusts.
- Chapter 26. Protection of Persons Under Disability and Their Property; Powers of Attorney
- Section 111. Duties and Powers of Attorney of Ward or Respondent.
previous: Section 110
. Findings; Order of Appointment. [Repealed, Sec. 21 Ch 83 SLA 1981. For Current Law See AS 13.26.116
next: Section 112
. Appointment of a Guardian Ad Litem. [Repealed, Sec. 31 Ch 84 SLA 2004].
AS 13.26.111. Duties and Powers of Attorney of Ward or Respondent.
- (a) The principal duty of an attorney representing a ward or respondent is to represent the ward or respondent zealously.
Zealous representation includes at least
- (1) personal interviews with the ward or respondent; unless good cause exists, the first contact with the ward or
respondent shall be at least two weeks before the hearing;
- (2) explaining, if possible, to the ward or respondent in terms that the ward or respondent can understand, the nature and
possible consequences of the proceeding, the alternatives that are available, and the rights to which the ward or
respondent is entitled;
- (3) securing and presenting evidence and testimony and offering arguments that would tend to protect the ward's or
respondent's rights and that would tend to further the interests of the ward or respondent.
- (b) To the maximum extent possible, the ward or respondent shall remain responsible for determining the interests of the
ward or respondent. However, the attorney for the ward or respondent may seek appointment of a guardian ad litem if the
circumstances of AS 13.26.025
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.