Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 13. Decedents' Estates, Guardianships, Transfers, and Trusts.
- Chapter 26. Protection of Persons Under Disability and Their Property; Powers of Attorney
- Section 60. Court Appointment of Guardian of Minor; Procedure.
previous: Section 55
. Court Appointment of Guardian of Minor; Qualifications; Priority of Minor's Nominee and Adult Family Member.
next: Section 62
. Subsidized Guardianship; Procedure.
AS 13.26.060. Court Appointment of Guardian of Minor; Procedure.
- (a) Notice of the time and place of hearing of a petition for the appointment of a guardian of a minor is to be given by
the petitioner in the manner prescribed by AS 13.06.110
- (1) the minor, if the minor is 14 or more years of age;
- (2) the person who has had the principal care and custody of the minor during the 60 days preceding the date of the
- (3) any living parent of the minor.
- (b) Upon hearing, if the court finds that a qualified person seeks appointment, venue is proper, the required notices have
been given, the requirements of AS 13.26.045
have been met, and the welfare and best interests of the minor will be served by the requested appointment, it shall
make the appointment. In other cases the court may dismiss the proceedings, or make any other disposition of the
matter that will best serve the interest of the minor.
- (c) If necessary, the court may appoint a temporary guardian, with the status of an ordinary guardian of a minor, but the
authority of a temporary guardian shall not last longer than six months.
- (d) If, at any time in the proceeding, the court determines that the interests of the minor are or may be inadequately
represented, it may appoint an attorney to represent the minor, giving consideration to the preference of the minor if
the minor is 14 years of age or older.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.