(a) Except as provided in (b) of this section, a person who is justified in using nondeadly force in self-defense under AS 11.81.330 may use deadly force in self-defense upon another person when and to the extent the person reasonably believes the use of deadly force is necessary for self-defense against
(2) serious physical injury;
(3) kidnapping, except for what is described as custodial interference in the first degree in AS 11.41.320;
(4) sexual assault in the first degree;
(5) sexual assault in the second degree;
(6) sexual abuse of a minor in the first degree; or
(7) robbery in any degree.
(b) A person may not use deadly force under this section if the person knows that, with complete personal safety and with complete safety as to others being defended, the person can avoid the necessity of using deadly force by leaving the area of the encounter, except there is no duty to leave the area if the person is
(1) on premises
(A) that the person owns or leases;
(B) where the person resides, temporarily or permanently; or
(C) as a guest or express or implied agent of the owner, lessor, or resident;
(2) a peace officer acting within the scope and authority of the officer’s employment or a person assisting a peace officer under AS 11.81.380;
(3) in a building where the person works in the ordinary course of the person’s employment;
(4) protecting a child or a member of the person’s household; or
(5) in any other place where the person has a right to be.
Other Sections in this Chapter:
- Sec. 11.81.100. General purposes.
- Sec. 11.81.200. Effect of amendment or repeal of criminal statutes.
- Sec. 11.81.210. Limitation on applicability.
- Sec. 11.81.220. All offenses defined by statute.
- Sec. 11.81.250. Classification of offenses.
- Sec. 11.81.300. Justification: Defense.
- Sec. 11.81.320. Justification: Necessity.
- Sec. 11.81.330. Justification: Use of nondeadly force in defense of self.
- Sec. 11.81.340. Justification: Use of force in defense of a third person.
- Sec. 11.81.350. Justification: Use of force in defense of property and premises. Repealed
- Sec. 11.81.370. Justification: Use of force by a peace officer in making an arrest or terminating an escape.
- Sec. 11.81.380. Justification: Use of force by private person assisting an arrest or terminating an escape.
- Sec. 11.81.390. Use of force by a private person in making arrest or terminating an escape.
- Sec. 11.81.400. Justification: Use of force in resisting or interfering with arrest. Repealed
- Sec. 11.81.410. Justification: Use of force by guards.
- Sec. 11.81.420. Justification: Performance of public duty.
- Sec. 11.81.430. Justification: Use of force, special relationships.
- Sec. 11.81.440. Duress.
- Sec. 11.81.450. Entrapment.
- Sec. 11.81.500. No prosecution for safe surrender of infant.
- Sec. 11.81.600. General requirements of culpability.
- Sec. 11.81.610. Construction of statutes with respect to culpability. Repealed
- Sec. 11.81.615. Offenses defined by age or value.
- Sec. 11.81.620. Effect of ignorance or mistake upon liability.
- Sec. 11.81.630. Intoxication as a defense.
- Sec. 11.81.640. Application of AS 11.81.600
- Sec. 11.81.900. Definitions.