Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 8. Business and Professions
- Chapter 32. Dental Hygienists
- Section 110. Scope of Practice of Dental Hygienists.
previous: Section 100
. Employment of Dental Hygienists.
next: Section 120
. Place of Employment.
AS 08.32.110. Scope of Practice of Dental Hygienists.
- (a) The role of the dental hygienist is to assist members of the dental profession in providing oral health care to the
public. A person licensed to practice the profession of dental hygiene in the state may
- (1) remove calcareous deposits, accretions, and stains from the exposed surfaces of the teeth beginning at the epithelial
attachment by scaling and polishing techniques;
- (2) apply topical preventive agents;
- (3) apply pit and fissure sealants;
- (4) perform root planning and periodontal soft tissue curettage;
- (5) perform other dental operations and services delegated by a licensed dentist if the dental operations and services are
not prohibited by (c) of this section; and
- (6) if certified by the board and under the direct or indirect supervision of a licensed dentist, administer local
- (b) The board shall specify by regulation those additional functions that may be performed by a licensed dental hygienist
only upon successful completion of a formal course of instruction approved by the board. The board shall adopt
regulations specifying the education requirements, evaluation procedures, and degree of supervision required for each
- (c) This section does not authorize delegation of
- (1) diagnosing, treatment planning, and writing prescriptions for drugs; writing authorizations for restorative,
prosthetic, or orthodontic appliances;
- (2) operative or surgical procedures on hard or soft tissues except as allowed in (a)(4) of this section; or
- (3) other procedures that require the professional competence and skill of a dentist.
- (d) This section does not prohibit a dental assistant from applying topical preventive agents or pit and fissure sealants
when those duties have been delegated to the assistant by a dentist licensed under AS 08.36 or by a dentist exempt from licensure under AS 08.36.350
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.