Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 5. Amusements and Sports
- Chapter 25. Watercraft
- Section 100. Definitions. [See Delayed Amendment Note]..
previous: Section 96
. Fees. [See Delayed Repeal Note]..
next: Chapter 30
. Snow Vehicles
AS 05.25.100. Definitions. [See Delayed Amendment Note]..
In this chapter, unless the context requires otherwise,
- (1) "aids to navigation" means buoys, beacons, or other fixed objects in the water that are used to mark obstructions to
navigation or to direct navigation through safe channels;
- (2) "boat" means watercraft used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water, except for
- (A) a ship's lifeboat;
- (B) a seaplane;
- (C) an inspected passenger vessel; and
- (D) a single air mattress, single inner tube, or other water toy;
- (3) "boat dealer" means a person engaged wholly or in part in the business of selling or offering for sale, buying or
taking in trade for the purpose of resale, or exchanging, displaying, demonstrating, or offering for sale three or more
boats within 12 consecutive months and who receives or expects to receive money, profit, or any other thing of value;
- (4) "certificate of number" means the document bearing the identification number issued to a boat by the Department of
Administration under this chapter, by a federal agency, or by the state of principal use under a federally approved
- (5) "commissioner" means the commissioner of natural resources;
- (6) "department" means the Department of Natural Resources;
- (7) "operate" means to navigate or to be in actual physical control of a boat used or capable of being used as a means of
transportation on water of the state;
- (8) "owner" means a person who has a property interest other than a security interest in a boat and the right of use or
possession of the boat; "owner" does not include a lessee unless the lease is intended as security;
- (9) "ownership" means a property interest other than a security interest;
- (10) "passenger" means a person on board a boat who is not the master, operator, crew member, or other person engaged in a
capacity in the business of the boat;
- (11) "regulatory marker" means an anchored or fixed marker in or on the water, or sign on the shore or on a bridge over the
water, other than aids to navigation; "regulatory marker" includes swimming markers, bathing markers, speed zone
markers, identification markers, danger zone markers, boat keep out areas, special anchorage areas, and mooring buoys;
- (12) "serviceable condition" as applied to personal flotation devices means
- (A) metal or plastic hardware is not broken, deformed, or weakened by corrosion;
- (B) webbings or straps are not ripped, torn, or separated from an attachment point;
- (C) there are no rotted or deteriorated structural components that fail when tugged;
- (D) there are no rips, tears, or open seams in fabric or coatings that are large enough to allow the loss of buoyant
- (E) buoyant material has not become hardened, nonresilient, permanently compressed, waterlogged, or oil-soaked, and does
not show evidence of fungus or mildew;
- (F) there is no loss of buoyant material or evidence of buoyant material that is not securely held in position;
- (G) there is a properly armed inflation mechanism, complete with a full inflation medium cartridge and all status
indicators showing that the inflation mechanism is properly armed, unless the PFD is worn inflated;
- (H) inflatable chambers are all capable of holding air;
- (I) oral inflation tubes are not blocked, detached, or broken;
- (J) the manual inflation lanyard or lever is not inaccessible, broken, or missing;
- (K) inflator status indicators are not broken or otherwise non-functional;
- (13) "undocumented boat" means a boat that does not possess a valid certificate of documentation issued by the United
States Coast Guard under 46 U.S.C. 12101 - 12123;
- (14) "validation decal" means a decal that has the state of registration and registration expiration year clearly marked;
- (15) "water of the state" has the meaning given in the term "navigable water" in AS 38.05.965
; "water of the state" also includes the marginal sea adjacent to the state and the high seas within the territorial
limits of the state, irrespective of the ownership of the land underlying those waters.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.