Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 3. Agriculture and Animals
- Chapter 47. Bees and Beekeeping Equipment
- Section 30. Duties of the Division.
previous: Section 20
. Importation of Bees.
next: Section 35
AS 03.47.030. Duties of the Division.
- (a) The division shall investigate reported cases of diseased bees and cases of diseased bees discovered by the division.
- (b) The division shall take action necessary to prevent the spread of bee diseases. Bees or used beekeeping equipment
found to contain the causative organisms of American foulbrood (Bacillus larvae) or European foulbrood (Streptococcus
pluton) shall be immediately quarantined and treated within five days by
- (1) chamber fumigation using ethylene oxide or other gases approved by the division;
- (2) sterilization by boiling in lyewater for at least 15 minutes; or
- (3) destruction of bees, bee combs, and frames by burning followed by burying 18 inches deep.
- (c) Notwithstanding (b) of this section, hive boxes, top and bottom boards found to contain the causative organisms of
American foulbrood (Bacillus larvae) or European foulbrood (Streptococcus pluton) may be salvaged by scorching inside
surfaces and edges using a flame to produce a light brown charring of the wood unless the boxes, top and bottom boards
are in poor condition due to weathering, rotting, or ant tunneling.
- (d) A quarantine imposed under this section may not be removed until infected bees and used beekeeping equipment are
destroyed or the division determines through testing that the used beekeeping equipment is free of the disease.
- (e) The division shall adopt regulations necessary to carry out the purposes of this chapter.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.