- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 41. Public Resources
- Chapter 14. Rivers, Lakes, and Streams
- Section 165. Form and Issuance of Citation.
previous: Section 160
. Duty to Arrest.
next: Section 170
. Power to Execute Warrant.
AS 41.14.165. Form and Issuance of Citation.
- (a) When a peace officer stops or contacts a person concerning a violation of this chapter or of a regulation adopted
under this chapter that is a misdemeanor, the peace officer may, in the officer's discretion, issue a citation to the
person as provided in AS 12.25.180
- (b) The supreme court shall specify by rule or order those misdemeanors that are appropriate for disposition without court
appearance, and shall establish a schedule of bail amounts. Before establishing or amending the schedule of bail
amounts required by this subsection, the supreme court shall appoint and consult with an advisory committee consisting
of two officers of the division of fish and wildlife protection of the Department of Public Safety, two representatives
of the department, two district court judges, and the chairpersons of the House and Senate Judiciary Committees of the
legislature. The maximum bail amount for an offense may not exceed the maximum fine specified by law for that offense.
If the misdemeanor for which the citation is issued may be disposed of without court appearance, the issuing peace
officer shall write on the citation the amount of bail applicable to the violation.
- (c) A person cited for a misdemeanor for which a bail amount has been established under (b) of this section may, within 15
days after the date of the citation, mail or personally deliver to the clerk of the court in which the citation is
filed by the peace officer
- (1) the amount of bail indicated on the citation for that offense; and
- (2) a copy of the citation indicating that the right to an appearance is waived, a plea of no contest is entered and the
bail is forfeited.
- (d) When bail has been forfeited under (c) of this section, a judgment of conviction shall be entered. Forfeiture of bail
and all seized items is a complete satisfaction for the misdemeanor. The clerk of the court accepting the bail shall
provide the offender with a receipt stating that fact if requested.
- (e) If the person cited fails to pay the bail amount established under (b) of this section or to appear in court as
required, the citation is considered a summons for a misdemeanor.
- (f) Notwithstanding other provisions of law, if a person cited for a misdemeanor for which a bail amount has been
established under (b) of this section appears in court and is found guilty, the penalty that is imposed for the offense
may not exceed the bail amount for that offense established under (b) of this section.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.