- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 29. Municipal Government
- Chapter 60. State Programs
- Section 500. Purpose and Policy.
previous: Section 450
. Fisheries Business Tax Allocation.
next: Section 510
. Municipal Impact Grants Authorized.
AS 29.60.500. Purpose and Policy.
- (a) The legislature finds and declares that a major release of oil or hazardous substances into the environment presents a
real and substantial threat to the economy and public welfare of the municipalities, villages, and school districts
that are affected by the release and the resultant activities to contain and clean up the release.
- (b) The legislature concludes that it is in the best interest of the state and its citizens to provide a readily available
fund for the payment of the expenses incurred by municipalities, villages, and school districts to mitigate the social
and economic effects that arise out of a major release of oil or hazardous substances and resultant cleanup activities.
- (c) It is the intent of the legislature and declared to be the public policy of the state that money to defray the cost of
social and economic effects on municipalities, villages, and school districts arising from a major release of oil or a
hazardous substance and resultant cleanup activities and to pay for efforts to abate that release will be immediately
available upon a determination that the release was sudden and that it exceeds 2,500 barrels of oil, or exceeds an
amount of a hazardous substance that when released into the environment presents a real and substantial threat to the
economy and public welfare of the municipalities, villages, or school districts affected by it.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.