- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 29. Municipal Government
- Chapter 60. State Programs
- Section 30. Determination of Millage Rate Equivalent.
previous: Section 20
. Determination of Population.
next: Section 40
AS 29.60.030. Determination of Millage Rate Equivalent.
- (a) The department may require a municipality to return a certification, signed by the municipal treasurer or manager and
the mayor, that provides an estimate of the locally generated revenue received by the municipality during its fiscal
year preceding the year in which the department's determination of the millage rate equivalent is made under (c) of
- (b) [Repealed, Sec. 8 ch 10 SLA 1987].
- (c) As early as possible, but not later than January 15 of each year, the department shall make a determination of the
millage rate equivalent of each taxing unit to use to compute and distribute equalization entitlements under AS 29.60.010
- 29.60.080 for the following state fiscal year.
The department shall base the determination on audits, financial statements, and other financial reports prepared and
submitted by a municipality. The department shall adjust the locally generated revenue reported by a municipality to
exclude the municipal revenue claimed that does not qualify for inclusion in or recognition as locally generated
revenue for municipal purposes under AS 29.60.010
(c)(1). The adjustment shall be made by deducting from total revenue claimed by the municipality the amount of the
department's estimate of revenue that is not recognized for municipal purposes.
- (d) The full and true assessed property value shall be determined by the department in the manner provided for the
computation of state aid to education under AS 14.17.510
. When the determination of locally generated revenue includes revenue of a utility received under AS 29.60.010(c)(1)(E), the full and true assessed property
value must include the computed assessed value of the utility, determined by dividing the amount of the payment in
place of taxes made by the utility by the millage rate that would apply to the utility if the utility were subject to
levy and collection of taxes under AS 29.45.
- (e) In addition to the computation for municipalities that levy and collect a property tax, the department shall determine
an estimated full and true assessed property value under (d) of this section for
- (1) each municipality that is a school district and that does not levy and collect a property tax;
- (2) each second class city with a population of 750 or more persons; however, a computation is not required under this
paragraph more often than once during a period of three successive calendar years; and
- (3) all other second class cities, by determining the average per capita full and true assessed property value of all
cities having a population of less than 750 persons in which an assessment has been completed by a municipality or for
which a determination is not made under (1) or (2) of this subsection.
- (f) The department shall annually compute a statewide average per capita full and true assessed property value.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.