Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 29. Municipal Government
- Chapter 35. Municipal Powers and Duties
- Section 590. Definitions.
previous: Section 560
. Municipal Liability.
next: Section 600
. Purpose of Authorities.
AS 29.35.590. Definitions.
In AS 29.35.500
- (1) "acute hazardous waste" means a waste listed by the administrator or the Environmental Protection Agency in accordance
with the criteria in 40 C.F.R. 261.11(a)(2);
- (2) [Repealed, Sec. 15 ch 71 SLA 1997].
- (3) "extremely hazardous substance" means a substance listed in 40 C.F.R. Part 355, Appendix A and B;
- (4) "handles" includes disposes of, generates, processes, stores, treats, transships, and uses hazardous chemicals,
materials, or wastes, but does not include the handling of hazardous chemicals, hazardous materials, or hazardous
wastes while they are in transit and before they reach the final destination indicated on the shipping paper
accompanying the shipment, except while they are at a transshipment facility; in this paragraph, "shipping paper" has
the meaning given in 49 C.F.R. 171.8;
- (5) "hazard class" means the class of a hazardous material defined in 49 C.F.R. 173;
- (6) "hazardous chemical" has the meaning given in 29 C.F.R. 1910.1200(c) except that it does not include
- (A) a food, food additive, color additive, drug, or cosmetic regulated by the federal Food and Drug Administration;
- (B) a substance present as a solid in a manufactured item to the extent exposure to the substance does not occur under
normal conditions of use;
- (C) a substance to the extent it is used for personal, family, or household purposes, or is present in the same form and
concentration as a product packaged for distribution and use by the general public;
- (D) a substance to the extent it is used in a research laboratory or a hospital or other medical facility under the direct
supervision of a technically qualified individual; or
- (E) a substance to the extent it is used in routine agricultural operations or is a fertilizer held for sale by a retailer
to the ultimate customer;
- (7) "hazardous material" means a material or substance, as defined in 49 C.F.R. 171.8, and any other substance determined
by the Alaska State Emergency Response Commission in regulations to pose a significant health and safety hazard;
"hazardous material" does not include food, drugs, alcoholic beverages, cosmetics, tobacco, or tobacco products
intended for personal consumption;
- (8) "hazardous waste" means
- (A) a hazardous waste as defined in AS 46.03.900
- (B) a hazardous waste as identified by the Environmental Protection Agency under 40 C.F.R. 261; and
- (C) any other hazardous waste defined by the Alaska State Emergency Response Commission in regulations;
- (9) "quantity" means the total amount of a material or waste handled at a time and includes the aggregate of a material or
waste that is divided among multiple containers;
- (10) "threshold planning quantity" means the quantity listed in the column "threshold planning quantity" for a substance
listed in 40 C.F.R. Part 355, Appendix A and B;
- (11) "transshipment facility" means a building, dock, yard or other structure or area at which hazardous chemicals,
hazardous materials, or hazardous wastes are held, or transferred from one vehicle, vessel, or container to another,
for the purpose of reshipment within seven days after arriving at the facility, if regularly holding or transferring
within that period of time is the principal business of the facility.
Article 09. PORT AUTHORITIES
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.