Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 29. Municipal Government
- Chapter 6. Alteration of Municipalities
- Section 10. Change of Municipal Name.
previous: Chapter 6
. Alteration of Municipalities
next: Section 40
. Local Boundary Commission.
AS 29.06.010. Change of Municipal Name.
- (a) A municipality may change its official name by adopting an ordinance for the purpose that is ratified by the voters
and filing the ordinance with the office of the lieutenant governor. Upon receipt of an ordinance ratified by the
voters, the lieutenant governor shall issue an order to the municipality changing its name. The name change shall
become effective on a date fixed in the order and occurring within 45 days after receipt of the ordinance. A copy of
the order shall be transmitted to the department.
- (b) If an ordinance adopted under (a) of this section that results in a change of the municipal name is subsequently
repealed, the lieutenant governor shall issue an order reinstating the former name within 45 days after the date of the
order, unless a different name is adopted as provided in (a) of this section.
- (c) When a municipal name change takes effect by means of an order issued under (a) or (b) of this section, a civil or
criminal suit, application, petition, hearing or other proceeding to which the municipality is a party and that is
pending at or brought after the date the name change takes effect shall proceed in the municipal name as changed by the
- (d) This section applies to home rule and general law municipalities.
Article 02. ANNEXATION AND DETACHMENT
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.