Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 16. Fish and Game
- Chapter 43. Regulation of Entry Into Alaska Commercial Fisheries
- Section 470. Optimum Number Range of Vessel Permits.
previous: Section 460
. Initial Issuance of Vessel Permits.
next: Section 480
. Transfer and Expiration of Vessel Entry Permits.
AS 16.43.470. Optimum Number Range of Vessel Permits.
- (a) If, after the initial issuance of vessel entry permits for a fishery, the commission determines that a long-term
biological or economic change has occurred in the fishery, the commission, in consultation with the Department of Fish
and Game, shall establish the optimum number range of vessel entry permits for the fishery.
- (b) In determining the optimum number range of vessel entry permits, the commission shall seek to
- (1) facilitate sound management of the fishery;
- (2) promote
- (A) the economic health and stability of the fishery;
- (B) broad access to the fishery;
- (C) conservation of the fish resources taken in the fishery;
- (D) quality seafood products; and
- (3) discourage waste of harvested fish.
- (c) The commission may increase or decrease the optimum number range of vessel entry permits for a fishery if the
commission finds that an established long-term change in the biological or economic condition of the fishery has
occurred and that the number of vessel entry permits that are necessary to achieve the goals set out in (b) of this
section has substantially changed.
- (d) If the optimum number range of vessel entry permits is less than the number of outstanding vessel permits for the
fishery, the commission may adopt regulations to allow the voluntary consolidation of vessel entry permits by permit
holders, including entities. The commission may investigate procedures to permanently reduce the number of vessel
permits issued for a fishery to within the optimum number range.
- (e) If the optimum number range of vessel entry permits is greater than the number of permits authorized for the fishery,
the commission shall issue additional vessel entry permits until the number of vessel entry permits is consistent with
the optimum number range for the fishery. The commission shall obtain fair market value for new vessel entry permits
issued under this subsection. The commission shall determine whether the additional vessel entry permits issued under
this subsection are transferable or nontransferable.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.