Advertising with us can place you in front of thousands of visitors a day. Learn more!
- Alaska Statutes.
- Title 13. Decedents' Estates, Guardianships, Transfers, and Trusts.
- Chapter 26. Protection of Persons Under Disability and Their Property; Powers of Attorney
- Section 120. Termination of Guardianship For Incapacitated Person.
previous: Section 118
. Other Reports.
next: Section 125
. Removal or Resignation of Guardian; Change in or Termination of Guardianship.
AS 13.26.120. Termination of Guardianship For Incapacitated Person.
- (a) The authority and responsibility of a guardian for an incapacitated person terminates upon the death of the guardian
or ward, the determination of incapacity of the guardian, the removal or resignation of the guardian as provided in AS
, or upon the expiration of the period specified by court order as the duration of the guardianship. Testamentary
appointment under an informally probated will terminates if the will is later denied probate in a formal proceeding.
Termination does not affect a guardian's liability for prior acts nor an obligation to account for assets of the ward
over which the guardian exercised control.
- (b) Notwithstanding (a) of this section, if a deceased ward does not have a living family member or if an individual
interested in the ward is not available, the guardian of a ward who dies may arrange for the body of the ward to be
transported to a funeral home and may make funeral and burial arrangements for the deceased ward. The guardian may also
apply for assistance with burial expenses from the state or a municipality if the estate of the ward does not have
sufficient money to pay for burial.
All content © 2008 by Touch
N' Go/Bright Solutions, Inc.
Note to HTML Version:
This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007. The Alaska Statutes were automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure their accuracy, but this can not be guaranteed. If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Statutes be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. For statutes adopted after the effective date of these statutes, see, Alaska State Legislature
If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We
hope you find this information useful.