(a) In addition to the regulation adoption requirements under AS 44.62.010 — 44.62.319, an agency head may determine that the use of a negotiated regulation making committee to negotiate and develop a proposed regulation is in the public interest. In making that determination, the agency head is advised to consider whether
(1) there is a need for a regulation, including whether any legal action is pending that might resolve the need;
(2) there are a limited number of identifiable interests that are held by more than one person and that will be significantly affected by the regulation;
(3) there is a reasonable likelihood that a committee can be convened with a balanced representation of persons who
(A) can adequately represent the interests identified under (2) of this section; and
(B) are willing to negotiate in good faith to reach a consensus on the proposed regulation;
(4) there is a reasonable likelihood that a committee will reach a consensus on the proposed regulation within a fixed period of time;
(5) the negotiated regulation making procedure will not unreasonably delay the adoption of the final regulation;
(6) the agency has adequate resources and is willing to commit those resources, including technical assistance, to the committee; and
(7) the agency head, to the maximum extent possible consistent with the legal or other obligations of the agency, will use the consensus of the committee as the basis for the regulation proposed by the agency under AS 44.62.010 — 44.62.319.
(b) Upon determining that a negotiated regulation making committee will be formed, an agency head shall notify the public so that interested persons can apply to be appointed to the committee.
Other Sections in this Chapter:
- Sec. 44.62.010. Application to State Organization Act of 1959.
- Sec. 44.62.020. Authority to adopt, administer, or enforce regulations.
- Sec. 44.62.030. Consistency between regulation and statute.
- Sec. 44.62.040. Submitting regulations.
- Sec. 44.62.050. Style and forms.
- Sec. 44.62.060. Preparation and filing.
- Sec. 44.62.070. Fees.
- Sec. 44.62.080. Endorsement and filing.
- Sec. 44.62.090. Filing with local government unit clerks. [Repealed, § 2 ch 57 SLA 1969.] Repealed
- Sec. 44.62.100. Presumptions from filing.
- Sec. 44.62.110. Presumptions from publication.
- Sec. 44.62.120. Voluntary submitting and publication.
- Sec. 44.62.125. Regulations attorney.
- Sec. 44.62.130. Codification and publication.
- Sec. 44.62.140. Distribution of code and register.
- Sec. 44.62.150. Price. [Repealed, § 49 ch 127 SLA 1974.] Repealed
- Sec. 44.62.160. Date and content of register.
- Sec. 44.62.170. Form of publication. [Repealed, § 2 ch 57 SLA 1969.] Repealed
- Sec. 44.62.175. Alaska Online Public Notice System.
- Sec. 44.62.180. Effective date.
- Sec. 44.62.190. Notice of proposed action.
- Sec. 44.62.195. Fiscal notes on regulations.
- Sec. 44.62.200. Contents of notice.
- Sec. 44.62.210. Public proceedings.
- Sec. 44.62.213. Agency contact with the public.
- Sec. 44.62.215. Record of public comment.
- Sec. 44.62.218. Regulations affecting small businesses. [Repealed, § 2 ch 91 SLA 2005.] Repealed
- Sec. 44.62.220. Right to petition.
- Sec. 44.62.230. Procedure on petition.
- Sec. 44.62.240. Limitation on retroactive action.
- Sec. 44.62.245. Material incorporated by reference.
- Sec. 44.62.250. Emergency regulations.
- Sec. 44.62.260. Limitation on effective period of emergency regulations.
- Sec. 44.62.270. State policy.
- Sec. 44.62.280. Purpose of AS 44.62.180
- Sec. 44.62.290. Limits of the application of AS 44.62.180
- Sec. 44.62.300. Judicial review of validity.
- Sec. 44.62.305. Judicial relief in administrative matters.
- Sec. 44.62.310. Government meetings public.
- Sec. 44.62.312. State policy regarding meetings.
- Sec. 44.62.319. Short title.
- Sec. 44.62.330. Application of AS 44.62.330
- Sec. 44.62.340. Delegation of power by agencies.
- Sec. 44.62.350. Appointment of hearing officers.
- Sec. 44.62.360. Accusation.
- Sec. 44.62.370. Statement of issues.
- Sec. 44.62.380. Service of accusation.
- Sec. 44.62.390. Notice of defense.
- Sec. 44.62.400. Amended or supplemental accusation.
- Sec. 44.62.410. Time and place of hearing.
- Sec. 44.62.420. Form of notice of hearing.
- Sec. 44.62.430. Subpoenas; witness fees.
- Sec. 44.62.440. Depositions.
- Sec. 44.62.450. Hearings.
- Sec. 44.62.460. Evidence rules.
- Sec. 44.62.470. Evidence by affidavit.
- Sec. 44.62.480. Official notice.
- Sec. 44.62.490. Amendment of accusation after submission.
- Sec. 44.62.500. Decision in a contested case.
- Sec. 44.62.510. Form and retroactivity of decision.
- Sec. 44.62.520. Effective date of decision; stay.
- Sec. 44.62.530. Default.
- Sec. 44.62.540. Reconsideration.
- Sec. 44.62.550. Petition for reinstatement or reduction of penalty.
- Sec. 44.62.560. Judicial review.
- Sec. 44.62.570. Scope of review.
- Sec. 44.62.580. Continuances.
- Sec. 44.62.590. Contempt.
- Sec. 44.62.600. Voting procedure.
- Sec. 44.62.610. Charge.
- Sec. 44.62.620. Power to administer oaths.
- Sec. 44.62.630. Impartiality.
- Sec. 44.62.635. [Renumbered as AS 44.62.930 Renumbered
- Sec. 44.62.640. Definitions for AS 44.62.010
- Sec. 44.62.650. [Renumbered as AS 44.62.950 Renumbered
- Sec. 44.62.710. Purpose and applicability of AS 44.62.710
- Sec. 44.62.730. Use of convener.
- Sec. 44.62.740. Establishment, time line, support, and termination of committee.
- Sec. 44.62.750. Committee duties, procedures, and report.
- Sec. 44.62.760. Facilitator selection, duties, and authority.
- Sec. 44.62.770. Employees, contractors, and funding.
- Sec. 44.62.780. Judicial review.
- Sec. 44.62.790. Relationship to other requirements.
- Sec. 44.62.795. Confidentiality of certain records and documents.
- Sec. 44.62.800. Definitions. Repealed
- Sec. 44.62.930. Teleconferencing.
- Sec. 44.62.950. Short title.