(a) If a testator’s surviving spouse married the testator after the testator executed the testator’s will, the surviving spouse is entitled to receive, as an intestate share, no less than the value of the share of the estate the surviving spouse would have received if the testator had died intestate as to that portion of the testator’s estate, if any, that neither is devised to a child of the testator who was born before the testator married the surviving spouse and who is not a child of the surviving spouse nor is devised to a descendant of such a child or passes under AS 13.12.603 or 13.12.604 to such a child or to a descendant of such a child, unless
(1) it appears from the will or other evidence that the will was made in contemplation of the testator’s marriage to the surviving spouse;
(2) the will expresses the intention that it is to be effective notwithstanding a subsequent marriage; or
(3) the testator provided for the spouse by transfer outside the will and the intent that the transfer be in lieu of a testamentary provision is shown by the testator’s statements or is reasonably inferred from the amount of the transfer or other evidence.
(b) In satisfying the share provided by this section, devises made by the will to the testator’s surviving spouse, if any, are applied first, and other devises, other than a devise to a child of the testator who was born before the testator married the surviving spouse and who is not a child of the surviving spouse or a devise or substitute gift under AS 13.12.603 or 13.12.604 to a descendant of the child, abate as provided in AS 13.16.540.
Other Sections in this Chapter:
- Sec. 13.12.101. Intestate estate.
- Sec. 13.12.103. Share of heirs other than surviving spouse.
- Sec. 13.12.105. No taker.
- Sec. 13.12.107. Kindred of half blood.
- Sec. 13.12.109. Advancements.
- Sec. 13.12.111. Alienage.
- Sec. 13.12.113. Individuals related to decedent through two lines.
- Sec. 13.12.201. Definitions.
- Sec. 13.12.203. Composition of the augmented estate.
- Sec. 13.12.205. Decedent’s nonprobate transfers to others.
- Sec. 13.12.207. Surviving spouse’s property and nonprobate transfers to others.
- Sec. 13.12.209. Sources from which elective share payable.
- Sec. 13.12.211. Proceeding for elective share; time limit.
- Sec. 13.12.213. Waiver of right to elect and of other rights.
- Sec. 13.12.401. Applicable law.
- Sec. 13.12.403. Exempt property.
- Sec. 13.12.405. Source, determination, and documentation.
- Sec. 13.12.501. Who may make will.
- Sec. 13.12.504. Self-proved will.
- Sec. 13.12.506. Choice of law as to execution.
- Sec. 13.12.508. Revocation by change of circumstances.
- Sec. 13.12.510. Incorporation by reference.
- Sec. 13.12.512. Events of independent significance.
- Sec. 13.12.514. Contracts concerning succession.
- Sec. 13.12.516. Duty of custodian of will; liability.
- Sec. 13.12.530. Establishment of will validity before death.
- Sec. 13.12.535. Establishment of trust validity before death.
- Sec. 13.12.540. Venue.
- Sec. 13.12.545. Contents of petition for will validity.
- Sec. 13.12.550. Contents of petition for trust validity.
- Sec. 13.12.555. Declaration by court.
- Sec. 13.12.560. Binding effect of declaration.
- Sec. 13.12.565. Hearing and notice.
- Sec. 13.12.570. Burden of proof.
- Sec. 13.12.575. Change to will after declaration.
- Sec. 13.12.580. Change to trust after declaration.
- Sec. 13.12.585. Confidentiality.
- Sec. 13.12.590. Definitions.
- Sec. 13.12.601. Scope.
- Sec. 13.12.603. Antilapse; deceased devisee; class gifts.
- Sec. 13.12.605. Increase in securities; accessions.
- Sec. 13.12.607. Nonexoneration.
- Sec. 13.12.609. Ademption by satisfaction.
- Sec. 13.12.701. Scope.
- Sec. 13.12.703. Choice of law as to meaning and effect of governing instrument.
- Sec. 13.12.705. Class gifts; terms of relationship.
- Sec. 13.12.707. Survivorship with respect to future interests under terms of trust; substitute takers.
- Sec. 13.12.709. Distribution by representation, per capita at each generation, and per stirpes.
- Sec. 13.12.711. Interests in heirs and other persons.
- Sec. 13.12.720. Family-owned business deduction. Repealed
- Sec. 13.12.802. Effect of divorce, annulment, and decree of separation.
- Sec. 13.12.804. Effect of divorce, annulment, and other changes of circumstances on probate and nonprobate transfers.
- Sec. 13.12.907. Honorary trusts; trusts for pets.
- Sec. 13.12.912. International will; validity.
- Sec. 13.12.914. International will; other points of form.
- Sec. 13.12.916. International will; effect of certificate.
- Sec. 13.12.918. Source and construction.
- Sec. 13.12.920. International will information registration.