A part of the intestate estate not passing to the decedent’s surviving spouse under AS 13.12.102, or the entire intestate estate if there is no surviving spouse, passes in the following order to the individuals designated below who survive the decedent:
(1) to the decedent’s descendants by representation;
(2) if there is no surviving descendant, to the decedent’s parents equally if both survive, or to the surviving parent;
(3) if there is no surviving descendant or parent, to the descendants of the decedent’s parents or either of them by representation;
(4) if there is no surviving descendant, parent, or descendant of a parent, but the decedent is survived by one or more grandparents or descendants of grandparents, half of the estate passes to the decedent’s paternal grandparents equally if both survive, or to the surviving paternal grandparent, or to the descendants of the decedent’s paternal grandparents or either of them if both are deceased, the descendants taking by representation; and the other half passes to the decedent’s maternal relatives in the same manner; but if there is no surviving grandparent or descendant of a grandparent on either the paternal or the maternal side, the entire estate passes to the decedent’s relatives on the other side in the same manner as the half.
Other Sections in this Chapter:
- Sec. 13.12.101. Intestate estate.
- Sec. 13.12.105. No taker.
- Sec. 13.12.107. Kindred of half blood.
- Sec. 13.12.109. Advancements.
- Sec. 13.12.111. Alienage.
- Sec. 13.12.113. Individuals related to decedent through two lines.
- Sec. 13.12.201. Definitions.
- Sec. 13.12.203. Composition of the augmented estate.
- Sec. 13.12.205. Decedent’s nonprobate transfers to others.
- Sec. 13.12.207. Surviving spouse’s property and nonprobate transfers to others.
- Sec. 13.12.209. Sources from which elective share payable.
- Sec. 13.12.211. Proceeding for elective share; time limit.
- Sec. 13.12.213. Waiver of right to elect and of other rights.
- Sec. 13.12.301. Entitlement of spouse; premarital will.
- Sec. 13.12.401. Applicable law.
- Sec. 13.12.403. Exempt property.
- Sec. 13.12.405. Source, determination, and documentation.
- Sec. 13.12.501. Who may make will.
- Sec. 13.12.504. Self-proved will.
- Sec. 13.12.506. Choice of law as to execution.
- Sec. 13.12.508. Revocation by change of circumstances.
- Sec. 13.12.510. Incorporation by reference.
- Sec. 13.12.512. Events of independent significance.
- Sec. 13.12.514. Contracts concerning succession.
- Sec. 13.12.516. Duty of custodian of will; liability.
- Sec. 13.12.530. Establishment of will validity before death.
- Sec. 13.12.535. Establishment of trust validity before death.
- Sec. 13.12.540. Venue.
- Sec. 13.12.545. Contents of petition for will validity.
- Sec. 13.12.550. Contents of petition for trust validity.
- Sec. 13.12.555. Declaration by court.
- Sec. 13.12.560. Binding effect of declaration.
- Sec. 13.12.565. Hearing and notice.
- Sec. 13.12.570. Burden of proof.
- Sec. 13.12.575. Change to will after declaration.
- Sec. 13.12.580. Change to trust after declaration.
- Sec. 13.12.585. Confidentiality.
- Sec. 13.12.590. Definitions.
- Sec. 13.12.601. Scope.
- Sec. 13.12.603. Antilapse; deceased devisee; class gifts.
- Sec. 13.12.605. Increase in securities; accessions.
- Sec. 13.12.607. Nonexoneration.
- Sec. 13.12.609. Ademption by satisfaction.
- Sec. 13.12.701. Scope.
- Sec. 13.12.703. Choice of law as to meaning and effect of governing instrument.
- Sec. 13.12.705. Class gifts; terms of relationship.
- Sec. 13.12.707. Survivorship with respect to future interests under terms of trust; substitute takers.
- Sec. 13.12.709. Distribution by representation, per capita at each generation, and per stirpes.
- Sec. 13.12.711. Interests in heirs and other persons.
- Sec. 13.12.720. Family-owned business deduction. Repealed
- Sec. 13.12.802. Effect of divorce, annulment, and decree of separation.
- Sec. 13.12.804. Effect of divorce, annulment, and other changes of circumstances on probate and nonprobate transfers.
- Sec. 13.12.907. Honorary trusts; trusts for pets.
- Sec. 13.12.912. International will; validity.
- Sec. 13.12.914. International will; other points of form.
- Sec. 13.12.916. International will; effect of certificate.
- Sec. 13.12.918. Source and construction.
- Sec. 13.12.920. International will information registration.