Made available by Touch N' Go Systems, Inc., and the
Law Offices of James B. Gottstein.

You can also go to The Alaska Legal Resource Center or search the entire website search.

Touch N' Go, the DeskTop In-and-Out Board makes your office run smoother. Visit Touch N' Go's Website to see how.
Title 11 . Natural Resources
Chapter 93 . (No Regulations Filed)
Section 940. Procedure on abandonment and forfeiture

11 AAC 93.940. Procedure on abandonment and forfeiture

(a) Except as provided in (f) of this section, if the commissioner has reason to believe that all or part of an appropriation has been abandoned or forfeited, the certificate holder will be notified that the commissioner intends to revoke the certificate for nonuse, to the extent of the nonuse. The revocation notice will be sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, to the last known address on record with the department.

(b) If the certificate holder desires to retain the appropriation, the certificate holder must file an objection within 30 days after receipt of the revocation notice. The certificate holder has 60 days after the date the objection is filed to submit proof that the appropriation has been neither abandoned nor forfeited. The proof must be in writing, and may include statements or affidavits, sworn testimony of witnesses, documents, and other relevant evidence. The commissioner will, in his or her discretion, hold a hearing in order to gather additional information, evidence, or testimony on the proposed revocation.

(c) If the proof substantiates that the appropriation has not been abandoned or forfeited, the commissioner will rescind the revocation notice. The holder will be notified of the decision by certified mail.

(d) If the proof does not substantiate that the appropriation has been neither abandoned nor forfeited, the commissioner will declare the appropriation abandoned or forfeited and revoke the certificate in whole or in part depending on the extent of nonuse. The commissioner will record the decision, and any amended certificate, in the appropriate recording office. In addition, the commissioner will, in his discretion, secure a court order for the removal of the works of appropriation.

(e) If necessary, the commissioner will, in his or her discretion, require a record of use to be submitted on a specified regular basis.

(f) If a certificate holder voluntarily relinquishes his or her water right by submitting a notice of relinquishment or a signed, notarized letter stating that all or part of the water right is being relinquished and stating the amount being relinquished, the notice requirement under (a) does not apply and the water right will be considered abandoned. The certificate will be revoked in whole or in part, and a copy of the revocation decision will be sent to the certificate holder. Any amended certificate will be recorded by the commissioner in the appropriate recorder's office.

History: Eff. 12/29/79, Register 72; am 9/11/83, Register 87; am 11/7/90, Register 116

Authority: AS 46.15.020

AS 46.15.140

AS 46.15.145

AS 46.15.160

Note to HTML Version:

The Alaska Administrative Code was automatically converted to HTML from a plain text format. Every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy, but neither Touch N' Go Systems nor the Law Offices of James B. Gottstein can be held responsible for any possible errors. This version of the Alaska Administrative Code is current through June, 2006.

If it is critical that the precise terms of the Alaska Administrative Code be known, it is recommended that more formal sources be consulted. Recent editions of the Alaska Administrative Journal may be obtained from the Alaska Lieutenant Governor's Office on the world wide web. If any errors are found, please e-mail Touch N' Go systems at E-mail. We hope you find this information useful. Copyright 2006. Touch N' Go Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Last modified 7/05/2006