Made available by
Touch N' Go Systems, Inc., and the
Law Offices of James B. Gottstein.
You can also go to The Alaska Legal Resource Center or search the entire website search.
(a) The purpose of this management plan is to establish the criteria necessary to allow for a herring gillnet and cooperative purse seine fishery in the Nunivak Island District.
(b) Nunivak Island herring gillnet permit holders may form cooperatives for the purpose of harvesting herring in the Nunivak Island District using purse seines under the following conditions:
(1) only one unit of purse seine gear as specified in 5 AAC 27.887 may be operated by each cooperative formed;
(2) at least one gillnet permit holder who is a member of a cooperative must be on board the purse seine vessel when it is engaged in the taking and delivery of herring for that cooperative.
(c) The commissioner, or the commissioner's designee, shall issue a permit for participation in the herring gillnet fishery or the cooperative purse seine fishery if the permit applicant
(1) holds a valid CFEC Nunivak Island District limited entry or interim-use herring gillnet permit; and
(2) applies for the herring gillnet permit or cooperative purse seine permit before April 16 of the year in which the applicant intends to participate.
(d) A permit holder that participates in the herring cooperative purse seine fishery in the Nunivak Island District may not participate in a sac roe herring fishery in any other district, except the Nelson Island District.
(e) In the absence of aerial surveys that provides the department with sufficient information and data to determine a reasonable estimate of herring biomass, the exploitation rate for the fisheries under this section may not exceed 15 percent of the estimated herring biomass.
(f) The herring allocation
(1) for each purse seine cooperative will be determined by multiplying the total allowable harvest by the percentage of all permit holders who are members of that cooperative; and
(2) for the herring gillnet fishery will be that portion of the allowable harvest not allocated to the cooperative purse seine fishery.
(g) Before the herring gillnet and cooperative purse seine permits are issued, the commissioner may specify on the permits any other criteria that the commissioner determines is necessary for the conservation of herring stocks and the management of the fisheries under this section.
(h) Repealed 4/5/2001.
History: Eff. 4/16/2000, Register 154; am 4/5/2001, Register 158
Authority: AS 16.05.251
Note to HTML Version:
Last modified 7/05/2006